How long should I record for?. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Trustee

How long should I record for?.

I'm using the Kensington/Transcend (16gb) combo in my Ex3 and was wondering if its wrong to record the full wedding ceremony or the speeches in one long clip. Is it safer recording in shorter clips.

Just been reading about some users getting a media restore message.
I would be afraid of losing a last clip lasting 30min +

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Using 32GB SDHC cards I've recorded nearly 4 hours straight a number of times. I've been using SDHC since January and NEVER got a media restore. That's the FIRST thing you test when you get the cards. Put two cards in and record straight through. Then do it again. If your cards can't do that, return/exchange them.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Craig, so recording long clips isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Put two cards in and record straight through. Then do it again. If your cards can't do that, return/exchange them.
If they record right through without errors I take it they are good to use.
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yup. If they do it a couple of times in a row they're not likely to fail. If you start, stop, start, you have to wait for the red light to go green. A lot of my work are long records. Never a problem.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Craig.
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #6
New Boot

I stop and start when ever I can. I'm just nervous of huge long clips. It makes it easier to find stuff. That is just me. Also if you have some weird problem like pulling the card out while its still rd the odds of screwing of the whole thing is minimized. I also only record on one card and leave the other slot empty.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Bob for your advice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hayes View Post
I also only record on one card and leave the other slot empty.
But how would that work during the ceremony or the speeches Bob?
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Trustee

I have 2x16GB cards. With a person helping me I was able to record for 4 hours straight. She would take one of the cards and off load it to a hard drive, erase all the footage, then give it back to me. The '"trick" was getting the card back in the camera without jarring it too much. :)

If you use XDCAM Clip Browser to copy all the clips from all the cards into one folder, the program will join the files together into one long clip. It's really easy.

I should note, that when I'm shooting a variety of shots for a project, I stop/start between shots. I don't want to leave the camera running while I move it to a new location or while I'm re-framing my shot. When I recorded for 4 hours straight it was because I client requested I capture a long corporate meeting. So I couldn't stop, otherwise I'd miss something.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds