Should I be able to play the MP4 in the BPAV folder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I be able to play the MP4 in the BPAV folder?

Got a new camera and am trying to work out the details.

I'm cool with Log and Transfer in FCP but I want to be sure I am backing up properly.

As a test, I popped the SxS into the express card slot, opened Clip Browser, and drug a couple clips down from the upper list view pane, into the lower list view pane of a folder I created on my desk top.

Then, I went to the desktop and opened the folder. Sure enough there is now a BPAV folder. Inside that there is a CLPR folder, CUEUP.XML, MEDIAPRO.XML, and a TAKR folder.

Inside the CLPR folder are folders with the same name as the clips I copied. Within each of those folders are a handful of files, one of which is an MP4.

Should I be able to double click on that MP4 and watch the clip? Because when I do I get a error message saying: The Movie Could Not Be Opened. The Movie Contains Some Invalid Data."

If thats not the way to do it, is there a way to visually confirm - and by that I mean watch the clips - that the files have saved to the hard drive properly from within the BPAV folder or is there another way to do it?

B

Last edited by Brett OBourke; August 20th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
If thats not the way to do it, is there a way to visually confirm - and by that I mean watch the clips - that the files have saved to the hard drive properly from within the BPAV folder or is there another way to do it?
B
Sure. The easiest method is to use Clip Browser. Clip Browser works with any BPAV folder on your computer, not just those on an SxS card. Navigate to the BPAV folder on your desktop and playback the clips. If they play back, then they were transferred properly.

However, I think that check is unnecessary. I have transferred thousands of clips with Clip Browser and never had one get corrupted. If Clip Browser says the clips were transferred, it is safe to assume that the were done correctly. Knock on wood.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #3
New Boot

try VLC

the VLC media player can play them back. at least, it works for me over here!
Jeremy Wilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Just make sure that CRC is checked ON in the Clip Browser Preferences.
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Major Player

I just drag the BPAV folder into my scratch HD or other storage HD. Simple drag and drop. Never had a problem yet. Copy perfectly.
Brett did you purchase the EX-3? Always good to have another EX user in Miami.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses. This was my suspicion.

Jon, I did indeed. Have come across a couple of your posts while doing searches, sounds like you're into some cool stuff. I'll shoot you an email and maybe we can catch up.

B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sounds like the person who doesn't wear seat belts and says they've never had a car accident.

Maybe it's the motorcyclist who refuses to wear a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
I just drag the BPAV folder into my scratch HD or other storage HD. Simple drag and drop. Never had a problem yet. Copy perfectly.
Brett did you purchase the EX-3? Always good to have another EX user in Miami.
The one time it doesn't copy perfectly you won't know it until the card is erased and the client who spent thousands is expecting you to do the re-shot at your expense in addition to losing all future business from the client.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Craig,

Do you have a recomendation? What's your process for confirming that the footage has properly transfered?

My concern is obviously in the field. Until I can scare up some more cash for more cards, I'm forced to dump the cards to a hard drive while shooting and then reformat the cards and shoot some more. This is client footage, so obviously making sure it's been properly stored to the hard drive is essential.

B
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Trustee

the only trouble with clip browser is that sometimes it has trouble copying clips or doesn't see them if anything odd happened while shooting, This has happened to me a number of times. It is a reliable way to copy what it does copy , but make sure that every shot is seen by clip browser and all the gigs on your card are copied. It will not always tell you when it fails to copy a shot.
Sometimes it will tell you it can't copy something that is useable and needs to be drag and dropped. I wish they would upgrade this program and fix the glitches.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds