EX1 / Canon still lens adapters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 / Canon still lens adapters?

Love my EX1 as well as my super fast Canon 35mm still camera lenses. Question - how can I combine them for shallow depth of field footage?

thanks in advance

Greg Kiger
St Louis
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Greg, your best option is to get a Redrock Micro, Letus, Brevis, or similar setup.

I don't own any of them, but I had a Redrock M2e this summer for a couple of weeks and it was great. Easy to use, easy to setup, and easy to shoot with. It lived up to all my expectations.

Redrock Micro: Create the Cinema Experience
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Major Player

another route to go is a Canon 5D mkII or the just announced 7D. If you already have the lenses the cost of a Letus plus the rails and mounting gear will be about the same as the cost of a Canon camera body.
The lens adapters work well but they are cumbersome for quick work; not so with the Canons, plus you get amazing low light performance and a full size 35mm sensor in the 5D, slightly smaller APC in the 7D.
I loved using the Letus but ended up selling it to go the Canon route - I believe the camera is a "game changer" and it is just a matter of time before full size sensors appear in a video camera body.
On the other hand I'm not giving up my EX1 or EX3 anytime soon, I believe they represent the best value in a video camera to be had these days.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Denis, I looked hard at the 5d before getting the EX1 - a great camera :)

Thanks Doug, I will research the units you listed. and BTW thanks for the fine EX1 instructional video, super helpful getting a pro photog up to speed on video - just got your interview dvd, pressing play tomorrow :)

thanks guys

Greg Kiger
St Louis
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the nice comments. I do like hearing that kind of feedback.

FYI, we will be selling an Adaptimax with a Canon mount later this fall. That won't be a substitute for the Redrock, Letus, etc. but it will give you one hell of a telephoto lens if you have any big Canon lenses over 200mm.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A friend has a 500mm so that could be fun :)
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
FYI, we will be selling an Adaptimax with a Canon mount later this fall.
Wouldn't you need an EX3 for that? (the OP was asking about an EX1)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds