Sony EX1 shutter speeds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX1 shutter speeds

Just got a EX1 and working through the settings, not as easy as the Z7 the problem is i can't seem to set the shutter at 50 can only set at 60 thats as low as it goes? I now that you can so anybody any help please
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you have it set to a PAL friendly video format? I.E 1080/25?
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Robb
Yes its set to 1080 50i or any of the other Pal formats but it still only goes to 60, i was testing it yesterday and 50 and below came up but i don't seen to find tham anymore
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Try shutter off.
BTW check the firmware revision number. If memory serves me there was an additional shutter speed or two added with version 1.11. It was little talked about since most of us were focused on the new SDHC (Express USB) support.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you turn the shutter off, it will set it at 50 with the format youre using.
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas View Post
Just got a EX1 and working through the settings, not as easy as the Z7 the problem is i can't seem to set the shutter at 50 can only set at 60 thats as low as it goes? I now that you can so anybody any help please
Set it by shutter angle. If you are shooting at 25fps turning the shutter OFF is going to give ~1/25 not 1/50. A shutter angle of 180 will give 1/50 at 25fps.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Think of the shutter as always being on, which in effect it is. When you shoot at 50i the shutter opens 50 times per second, thus is 1/50th, unless you turn the switch on, which then gives you the option to select alternate shutter speeds. No shutter at 50i = 1/50th, no need to use angle or anything else.

Certainly if you swap between interlace and progressive then setting the shutter to 180 degrees may be helpful as that will give you 1/50th at 25P.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Certainly if you swap between interlace and progressive then setting the shutter to 180 degrees may be helpful as that will give you 1/50th at 25P.
Thanks Alister, I was thinking progressive.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks eveybody
Yes the shutter is set to off so it should be okay then, thanks for the advice on 25p shooting Alister, tried all formats can't see a lot of differance between them shootinh a wedding tomorrow might try 1080p looks ok to me

Many thanks
Ian
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I think I need to do a shutter tutorial video as it seems to confuse many people.
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Another thing no lanc socket bummmer, how are you supposed to the manfrotto lanc control with this camera!
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #12
Major Player

Ian,

Unfortunately there is no Lanc. You will need to get a controller that connects to the lens. Look at the socket on the front of the grip. Manfrotto do make one as do several other manufacturers. It only gives zoom control however, not focus.
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I think I need to do a shutter tutorial video as it seems to confuse many people.
That would be great Alister. Personally I love your tutorials. Most helpful and extremely clear. You must have been a teacher.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Just done a wedding today, how do i get the clips into Liquid 7 what do ihave to do

Thanks
Ian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds