How To Split Audio from EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Trustee

How To Split Audio from EX1

I recorded a parade today using a shotgun for channel 1 and the internal mic for ch 2 and then turned off the internal due to police sirens. I did this during recording and I am trying to either: 1) turn the volume all the way down on ch 2 and copy the shotgun's audio to the other channel or 2) split the audio (because Premiere CS4 sees it as stereo and not 2 mono tracks) and copy to the other channel.

I have downloaded other people's XDCAM EX files and they show up as 2 separate mono tracks - did I miss a setting in the camera or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

XDCAM (all variants I know of) inherently records as two mono channels so I suspect the issue must be in your Premiere settings.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Trustee

I figured part of it out. Those files I downloaded were MXF whereas I am using the MP4 files. Once I converted the MP4 to MXF, Premiere shows both mono channels separately.

I would prefer not having to convert all these files. Both Sony and Adobe tout Premiere as the only NLE capable of editing XDCAM EX natively but I guess that's not completely true.
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm using Calibrated Software EX MP4 import plugin with Final Cut Pro. That allows FCP to edit EX MP4 directly. Those come in stereo whereas MP4 rewrapped to MOV come in with two mono audio tracks.

So I guess I'm seeing the FCP equivalent of what you're seeing in Premiere when it comes to MP4 direct import.
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Well, I was wrong. Not only does ClipBrowser make a 3.5GB clip into 5.6GB going from MP4 to MXF, but it also does something funky with the audio tracks. When I move the MXF to the sequence timeline, a total of 4 mono tracks are included and tracks 3 & 4 are empty. WTF?

This works for now but I don't understand why the file size is so much bigger. I have 6TB coming this week but at the rate I'm recording, that will be gone in a month.

Craig, so do you see the MP4 audio as a single stereo channel?
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FCP doesn't have single stereo tracks in the sequence.
With EX MP4
In the Viewer window it's a single stereo pair.
In the sequence it's channel 1 panned left, channel 2 panned right.
The channels are linked as stereo

With EX rewrapped to MOV
In the Viewer window it's two mono channels
In the sequence it's channel 1 center panned, channel 2 center panned
The channels are linked to the video but not linked to each other.

MXF normally has 4 channels so what you're seeing is correct. If you were shooting with XDCAM F355 for example you could record on 4 separate channels. EX does not have 3rd and 4th channel but if you rewrap to MXF they'll be there as empty.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Trustee

Craig, thanks a bunch for your help. I finally figured it out. In Premiere's Project folder, I can select the MP4 clip and either designate it as Mono or extract each Mono track as their own within the Project window.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Major Player

There is an option in the top menu to split the audio as well or change it to stereo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds