EX1 not in stock - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
Number one rule of inventory management: The more of something you sell, the more of it you keep in stock.
I'm sure B&H will appreciate your input. Personally, I have nothing but praise for them and I've spent quite a bit there over the years. But it's nice to have another great sponsor in the New York area as well.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
Number one rule of inventory management: The more of something you sell, the more of it you keep in stock.
It's not that simple. The issues surrounding allocation are more complex than you know. I'm sure that the buyer for B&H is keenly aware of the situation, and it's a far more complicated matter than just "calling Sony and ordering more." It's not like there's a perpetual supply just rolling off the factory assembly line every day.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Inner Circle

There are distribution/allocation priorities for example.

Let's say B&H wants 20 but because Sony has to deal with world wide distribution, USA gets X units of which B&H only gets 10 at the moment (because many large orders placed from other retailers/buyers) and since 10 people are on the "accepting orders" waiting list, those are gone immediately. Maybe "mega international cable news network" orders a gazillion and they get most of the models coming of the line for the next two weeks, lowering the amount available to retailers.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I think TV stations, commercials, features and large production companies favor the EX1 over the EX3 because of its size. So EX1s may be harder to keep in stock when a large order comes in.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #20
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It's not that simple. The issues surrounding allocation are more complex than you know. I'm sure that the buyer for B&H is keenly aware of the situation, and it's a far more complicated matter than just "calling Sony and ordering more." It's not like there's a perpetual supply just rolling off the factory assembly line every day.
Thank you. Very apt and much appreciated. We get and sell hundreds each month. Sony has been allocating this product for the last 4-5 months. If Sony would give us more (and they've been ordered), we'd have more. I appreciate Craig Terott's "rule of management," but it's really not as simple as picking up the phone and saying, "Hey, Sony. Send me another couple-a hundred willya?" We wish it was that simple.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm surprised to see my comment was deleted. My guess is because it wasn't favorable to B&H.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #22
Vortex Media

I didn't see whatever may have been deleted, but I'll go on record as saying I think B&H is great. I've been buying about 90% of my equipment through B&H for over 10 years, and probably average 2-3 orders per month. Never had a problem. It sounds too good to be true, but it is true. If all the businesses I have to deal with were as professional as B&H, my life would be a whole lot easier.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #23
Regular Crew

That's great Doug. Whenever I consider buying your Vortex products it's through B&H. I am also a member of the tens of thousands of dollars of purchases made through B&H club. They have been one of our major vendors since they were a 30'x30' little shop on the lower east side serving NY's still photographic community where their roots lie. I remember when the "new" video department consisted of a small counter in this shop highlighting the Panasonic MX20. This is before they were a website or a superstore, more than 20 years ago. I have been a customer longer than probably 95% of the staff itself. This said, there are more than a few areas where I have suggestions for B&H to become a better company. Many high end productions are still using more dedicated vendors like BandPro, Tamberelli and AbelCine. B&H is only now really trying to crack the high end broadcast market by putting forth a more visible broadcast division. Henry, you're welcome to correct me where you see fit.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm just glad to see the EX1 is so popular that large sellers like B&H have trouble keeping them in stock. It really is a fantastic camera.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
I'm surprised to see my comment was deleted.
Nothing has been deleted. You posted the comment to a completely different thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1413862
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Nothing has been deleted. You posted the comment to a completely different thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1413862
Ah! My mistake, I apologize fellas. Either old age or I had too many browser tabs open and got confused. Tabs are evil... and maybe some ginko biloba will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Forester View Post
I'm just glad to see the EX1 is so popular that large sellers like B&H have trouble keeping them in stock. It really is a fantastic camera.
EX3 features are neat... personally if I want something bigger than EX1 I'd go XDcam 700/800 or Varicam. I think Sony's next EX will probably be similar to EX3 form factor however, in which case I don't need or want one. If they keep it as small as EX1 that'll work for me.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM   #27
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
B&H is only now really trying to crack the high end broadcast market by putting forth a more visible broadcast division. Henry, you're welcome to correct me where you see fit.
We are renewing our efforts in this direction with "The Studio @ B&H" and other ventures. Thanks for your informative and supportive post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds