SDHC & Adapter Failure - Lost Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SDHC & Adapter Failure - Lost Footage

I recently have had a problem with my SDHC setup (Kensington 7-in-1 Media Reader + 16GB Class 6 Card)

I have had the EX3 for over a year (never updated firmware) and have been using the adapter since the beginning and have not had ANY problems until now. The card is almost filled (approximately 55 minutes of footage) and cannot be recognized in camera or in my computers (MAC). It is not recognized or cannot be formatted in camera. I have tried Rescue Pro as advised but it also does not recognize the card. This, I believe, is a newer Transcend Card (has a red stripe across logo not blue) but has been tested prior to using, and has been used many times before without any problems. Got the card from reputable dealer.

I have followed some previous threads regarding this issue, but again I am on a MAC and nothing seems to recognize the card in any way. I have tried an SDHC USB adapter and the Kenisington Card in the Express Card slot. Nothing seems to recognize my card.

HELP!!! Does anyone know what is wrong or how I can rescue these files. Of course they are extremely important to me. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I've had the odd one refuse to read in camera and mac. Every single one read perfectly in the SDHC slot on a PC laptop.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've tried inserting the SD card into a laptop PC running Windows 7 and does not recognize card either. Recognizes other SD cards shot earlier that day. I still cannot get any computer to recognize this card and does not work in camera.

Any suggestions?
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Use SxS media from now on
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
Use SxS media from now on
The problem here is the use of a newer Transcend cards, or "timebomb" as I prefer to think of them. They may seem to work faultlessly but eventually you'll hit a problem. It's not the adaptors, it's not the SDHC solution, it is a Transcend manufacturing change that means these cards are no longer suitable for use in an EX1.

Do not be fooled by retailers selling these cards alongside the adaptors. Last time I looked there were 2 UK retailers still happy to sell you a Transcend 16gb + an SDHC adaptor. Not good!

SxS can and do go wrong. SDHC cards can and do go wrong. However the Transcend 16gb cards seem to be an open invitation to failure.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks graham for the non-help. I've actually had more problems with SxS than I have ever had with the SD Cards and I use them much more frequently and on bigger jobs.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I cannot access any footage on my Transcend card. It does not show up in camera or on a computer. Seeing if there was any real world experience recovering this footage

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

With regular disks, they do not show up when they have improper or no partition information.

Before doing any data recovery, use Norton Ghost or some other block copy program (Adonis works most of the time) to make a copy of your SDHC. You can copy it either to another SHDC or a disk.

I've had success with GetDataBackNTFS /GetDataBackFAT, though you will need the FAT for your SDHC. Another fellow swears by ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery).
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the info. I'll try this. Keep your fingers crossed....
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I wasn't clear about working on the copy of your card. Don't work on the original if at all possible.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sturns View Post
I've actually had more problems with SxS than I have ever had with the SD Cards and I use them much more frequently and on bigger jobs.
You have to be one of the very very few people who claim that you have had many problems with SxS. For most people, they have few if any problems when using SxS.

But, if your statement is true, then maybe the problem lies in your camera and not in your media. Maybe you should consider taking your camera in to Sony for a thorough checkup.

As for trying to recover the data from your SDHC card, you might want to try a full blown data recovery application (rather than a multimedia recovery app) and let it do a deep scan of the card. I have had good luck with Easeus Data Recovery Pro.

Assuming your have not allowed anything to write to the SDHC card since failure, you should stand a good chance of recovering the data.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Send the cards to A+ Perfect Computers | Computer Repair in Westport, Fairfield, Southport CT

I had 3 cards crashed and even Sandisk couldn't retrieve the lost data, they were trying for a few weeks BUT they referred me to this company and A plus Perfect were able to save all of the files. It was a lifesaver.
A+ Perfect Computers | Computer Repair in Westport, Fairfield, Southport CT
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds