Fair Market Value for an EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Tourist

Fair Market Value for an EX1

Hey guys, I was wondering what a used EX1 in it original box and accessories would fetch for? I have one and want to post it in the classifieds once I figure what a reasonable price would be for a camera with about 90 hours. Thanks.
Mike Boulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

At least 15% than the lowest authorized dealer price you can find on Google.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

All authorized dealers, if they are really authorized, will have the same price. The price is fixed from Sony and if you break it you will be in very hot water with Sony.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Ebay prices represents a fair picture of a large, and open marketplace.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The "Hot" factor for this camera is a bit weak these days since the DSLR wave, but the camera still a strong value. Depends the accessories (cards, batteries since expensive ones). B&H prices are good start since they are usually the lowest honest deal.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

BH used to be the lowest deal long ago. Sometimes I see much higher prices from them vs. other reputable dealers. I used to not worry about price with BH but now I check every price.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM   #7
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
All authorized dealers, if they are really authorized, will have the same price. The price is fixed from Sony and if you break it you will be in very hot water with Sony.
True. The Sony Unified Resale Execution (SURE) program went into effect June 2008. At Sony Adds New Premium-Goods Sales Policy - 2008-05-05 06:00:00 | TWICE there's an article describing the program from Twice magazine. In a nutshell, the MAP (Min Advertised Price) is now also the min selling price for many of their products. They enforce the program vigorously.
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'd go at 15% below B-stock which i think is about $5800.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner View Post
True. The Sony Unified Resale Execution (SURE) program went into effect June 2008. At Sony Adds New Premium-Goods Sales Policy - 2008-05-05 06:00:00 | TWICE there's an article describing the program from Twice magazine. In a nutshell, the MAP (Min Advertised Price) is now also the min selling price for many of their products. They enforce the program vigorously.
That policy seems to be in breach of the Australian Trade Practices Act. Resale price maintenance is specifically prohibited. Reading the summary of the act Section 96 would seem specifically written to cover exactly what Sony is doing.

Quote:
A supplier may recommend a resale price for goods or resupply price for services, provided
that the document setting out the suggested price makes it clear that it is a recommended
price only and that the supplier takes no action to influence the reseller not to sell or
resupply below that price (s. 97).
It's quite possible that Sony's policy does not apply down here. It would explain why recently the local best price after a bit of arm twisting is lower than the grey import price from the USA. Second hand (ex rental) EX1s are going for 60% of list down here and that was from a Sony Authorised reseller. Maybe the trade in grey imports is going to start flowing the other way over the Pacific.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner View Post
Price fixing was always a criminal offense under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. In August of 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that vertical price fixing by a manufacturer and its retailers, also known as retail price maintenance, is not a per se violation.

Colluding on price amongst competitors, also known as horizontal price fixing, is viewed as a per se violation of the Sherman Act regardless of the market impact or alleged efficiency of the action.

So if retailers colluded to fix prices, that would be a horizontal violation, but by having Sony enforcing retail price maintenance, it removes the collusion amongst competitors. I personally feel this is wrong, and it would have been illegal for the 218 years before August 2008.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds