FCP - Mixing 720 & 1080 on the same timeline? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP - Mixing 720 & 1080 on the same timeline?

Hello Folks,

I see that the 720 stuff is distorted on the same timeline as the 1080. Under the Motion tab I see that the 'scale' is 150 with the 720 stuff instead of 100.

Can someone please me why what I have to do to make this work?
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

And your timeline is set to?
1080 something?
Change the scale of the 720p to 100% but it will be smaller.
It all depends what you mean by "work"

You've left out your timeline setting, what you mean be "distorted," what your intent is.

You could use a 720 timeline and the shrink the 1080 video but without your intent I have no idea how you want it to work.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
New Boot

As you no doubt know, you can mix formats in the FCP timeline, but they'll need to be sized and proportioned to match whatever settings you are running.

Easiest way I have found is to first, open the shot in the Viewer by double clicking on it, Select from the drop down Menu "Image+Wireframe", Hold the Shift Key down (which allows you to change the aspect ratio dynamically) and Click & Hold one of the corner dots to fit the shot to the frame.

Hope that's helpful.
John Fante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice insight John. Thanks :)

My next question would have to be: Does this affect the quality of the shot we are changing and if so, how?

Craig:
I'm shooting a mix of 720 30p (sometimes overcranked for slo-mo) and 1080 30p.
FCP on a 1080 30p timeline.
Feature doc for the festivals.
Thoughts?

Sorry, I know this question has been asked a million times..... and I should know this by now..... but it been one of those years ;)

Apologies for the delayed reply.... the net (if you can call it that) has been down..... out here.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Two ways come to mind, It's hard to say which is "better" though.

Edit in 720p30 sequence and you now have the option to reframe or otherwise create moves with the 1080p30 files. The sacrifice is lower resolution HD.

You can blow up the 720p30 and edit in a 1080p30 timeline. The sacrifice is image degradation of the 720p30 source.

Either can work and either can survive the blow up if handled well.

Of course if you need 24p out either will be a bit "bumpy" since 30p does not always translate to 24p well. 24p can easily be converted to 25p/50i for PAL and 60i for NTSC too.

One really needs to think through the entire workflow first. If the goal is Film and Blu-ray distribution 24p source would make sense (and I personally can't stand the temporal resolution of 24p). On the other hand if the festivals can handle 30p source and project digitally that would be OK.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Well said Craig.

"One really needs to think through the entire workflow first...."

Interesting given the incredibly leaps technology is making all the time..... but working with the tolls we have here and now ;)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds