Thinking of getting an SXS card. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #46
New Boot

Using the SDHCcards we have had 4 errors called "Media needs to be restored" during the actual shoot only in one of those cases we lost the actual clip. The documentary director was very uptight and I had to rent 64GB of SxS cards to keep my customer happy. For me in the future only the originals unless we shoot just for fun!!!
Jan van den Heuvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #47
Vortex Media

Jan,

You're going to see that "Media Needs to be Restored" message occassionally even with genuine SxS cards so don't let it freak you out when it happens again. It will happen again.

As I unserstand it, it's really just a housekeeping function of the XML files and other information on the card and has nothing to do with the video clips themselves. I've seen it pop up several times over the past 2 years and I have never lost a clip or had any issues with letting the camera restore the media. But it is a little scary when you see it the first couple of times. When I see it now (which is very rare) I don't even give it a second thought. I just say "OK" and move on.

You say that you lost clips with the SD cards, but I'll bet THAT is what caused the "restore" message to appear, and not the other way around.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #48
Major Player

Just as a note of caution, on one occasion I had my EX1 demand to do a media restore on a write protected card I knew had been fine just an hour previously. I turned the camera off and turned it back on again and it was fine. Never asked to do another restore.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #49
Trustee

Do I have to test record this new 32gb sxs card before I use it or can I just insert it and start recording.

If I had an SxS card in one slot and an SDHC card in the other will it change from the sxs to the SDHC card without problems.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #50
Regular Crew

You would be wise to test it before any paying shoot but I probably won't just because I'm a lazy bum. Just switch slots before the current card is full so if there is a problem you have time to correct it.

Switching from SxS to SDHC and vice versa isn't a problem as long as you've covered all the usual pitfalls such as having the SDHC card locked.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #51
Trustee

Ok Graham, thanks for that.
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Do I have to test record this new 32gb sxs card before I use it or can I just insert it and start recording.
One of the reasons SDHC cards are so much cheaper than SxS or P2 is because they are only likely to be batch tested, not on a card by card basis. Hence an occasional card that doesn't meet spec from new.

SxS and P2 are supposed to be individually tested prior to sale, so the chances of a customer buying a dud should be far less. Coupled with the faster speed (so far better headroom) it's highly unlikely that it won't record reliably straight from the packet.

But the question you have to ask is whether you find the large extra cost worth the pre-sale verification, and higher download speed. You never get anything for nothing. Real point of all this is that if anyone does decide to use SDHC. they MUST perform their own performance checks before serious use.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #53
Trustee

I have my three SxS cards copied to the PC hard drive via clip browser.
Each SXS card is copied to its own folder.
I want to make a backup to an external harddrive.
Do I have to use clip browser again to do this or will a copy and paste to the external drive be OK.

Thanks.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #54
Major Player

see my thread and it will answer your questions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1426987-post17.html
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #55
Trustee

Thanks Bill.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds