some questions for ex1 users - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I have a similar CAVision rig with some modifications. The baseplate is a custom one I built as is the wireless mic receiver mount in the back of the shoulder brace.

To me this is still handheld. It's not on a tripod or jib. And there's no stabilization except for what a human body might provide. It's about as stable as a shoulder-mounted camera. In fact, it mimics the same mechanical advantage of a longer camera body.

I use it 99% of the time as there's usually no time or room to use a tripod, especially on boats.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't use the EX1 on a FigRig except for VERY short stints. I own both a FigRig and an EX1, and I've used them together. It's not something I'd recommend.

That said, I can't think of a scenario where I'd want to operate either the EX1 or the Panny's truly handheld. It's just TOO shaky. Running with the FigRig is shaky enough. Especially for large screen or theatrical viewing. I am always mystified at people who knock the EX1 for being hard to hand hold. If you want a hand-held camera get a 1 pound consumer cam. If you want professional looking results, then support your camera (tripod, steadicam, dolly, crane/jib, figrig, something).
Also, when using HD handheld the motionblur becomes too intense so you could switch back to SD and viewers would not even notice. If you want real 1080p (in my opinion Panasonic has a bad reputation since HVX200) buy a EX1 or EX3 and use a dolly or tripod.

Try to find raw clips on the internet from every camera model you are interested in and see for yourself. That worked for me.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
im about ready to shift to hd from shooting dsr300 cams.
ive been leaning to the ex1 , but hear alot of good things about the panasonic hpx300 and hpx170.
with the pannys at 100 mbps vs. 35 on the sony, is this overblown?also, my main hangup with the ex1 is the utter impossiblility to handhold this cam for any length of time. my whole deal for going with the sony was that it was smaller and a handheld unit, until i actually held it.
is this not a big factor to ex1 users and the overall quality of it makes it a better choice over the panasonics?
input welcome.
and ive seen the typical shoulder adaptors for the ex1, really cheesy to me.
has anyone seen footage from the above panasonics and compared to ex1
I recently switched from my DSR-300 to my PMW-EX1. I shoot mostly events in poor lighting conditions, and I was worried about the low-light performance about the EX1. But I am pleasantly surprised that it seems to be doing at least as well as the DSR-300 in these poor conditions. And the DSR-300 has a reputation for being extraordinarily good in low-light.

Since I shoot mostly on tripods, I can't speak to the hand-held issue. I am considering buying (or making) one of the shoulder mounts. At least the ones I'm looking at don't seem particularly cheesy?
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds