Thank you Sony for the EX1R! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Thank you Sony for the EX1R!

Well it is time to say my thank you's.

Thank you, Sony, for upgrading the EX1 VF!

Thank you for improving the jacks placement and HDMI! Excellent job!!

Thank you for shortening the switchover from Media/Camera mode!

Thanks for the rear IR remote receiver and zoom ramping (although I'd like to try it first it shows you are trying to answer the need for this).

I have to say I believe Sony has hit the bulls eye by upgrading the EX1 rather than the EX3 and introducing a full shoulder mount EX. The EX3 form factor was in a grey area. In my opinion it was a poor man's full shoulder mount camera. If I wanted a form factor that's trying to be a shoulder mount but not quite, I would just buy an F800 and be done with it. Now I may go for a 350 instead. There is a better established niche for EX1 size cameras in mainstream production than EX3 size because of just that, size. The 350 is what the EX3 should have been from the beginning. 2/3" is what the HPX300 should have had and exactly what a full size EX needs. 2/3" is a spot on design decision for this 350 camera. Finally someone is doing something right. And the EX3 VF was always a dubious proposition to me. I once detached it and accidentally dropped it from about 4 feet onto tiled floor. It broke into 4 or 5 pieces flying in every direction. This does make me curious about the same apparent design concept in the 350. If you love your EX3 more power to you my friend. Just my opinions.

I'd say don't expect Sony to officially answer the Far Red question for the new EX's. To do this would be to admit the problem in the EX1, and that won't be done for the same reason it never was. The possibility of a very expensive situation and the need to avoid it. That would be servicing all the old EX1s for free. I am amazed and impressed that they even said EX1R has "improved filters" in this regard.

More opinion...

Both are overpriced. I would place the EX1R no more than 7450k and the 350 at 14k. Nanoflash aside, 350 is still 4.2.0, 35mbps. The market has changed and the age of 40k-50k broadcast betacams is long gone.

The Memory Stick adapter is a nice acknowledgment of the need for alternative media and "Emergency Recording" is exactly the right purposing! But Sony you should have bit the bullet and made this SDHC. Emergencies will be served much better with the wider global availability of SD cards than Memory Sticks. Let's face it, it's more likely I'll find SD cards to buy in a jam than Memory Sticks. If a superior reliability of Memory Sticks vs. SD cards using EX1 can be proven with hard results I'll take this back.

In a business sense is it logical to expect an EX1 firmware upgrade giving you almost everything an EX1R has and hurting EX1R sales? As an EX1 owner I'd still rather have exactly what Sony is offering along with the hardware enhancements.

Sony, thanks for listening to us! I will be buying an EX1R! Thank you!!!
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Well put Max.

I think Sony should include 2 adaptors in the price, this would almost guarantee that new buyers buy thier memory sticks, more money for sony.

I also agree with you that the adaptors should've been sdhc, would sony make another adaptor for sdhc cards , I don't think so but if they did then i'd be buying a few.

Paul.
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The EX1R's filters have been improved to reduce far red contamination. That's what I have been told. I did not have time to test, but if they say they have done it, I think they will have done a good job.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Have they listened to what people had to say about the undefeatable audio limiters on the old EX1/EX3?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
Both are overpriced. I would place the EX1R no more than 7450k and the 350 at 14k. I will be buying an EX1R! Thank you!!!
Strange contradictions in your post Max. From the camera's performance, competition and sales success so far, I'd say Sony are good as under-pricing the EX1. In any age market forces determine the price.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There have been improvements to the response of the audio limiters, but I did not have time to test this out. Whether this was just for the auto audio levels or limiter I'm not sure. One weekend to test 2 cameras, shoot a review and film an airshow just wasn't long enough!

I hope to get hold of the cameras again soon. Apparently there is a new lens for the 350.
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Strange contradictions in your post Max. From the camera's performance, competition and sales success so far, I'd say Sony are good as under-pricing the EX1. In any age market forces determine the price.

tom.
Well I make the purchasing decisions for our company so I'm not paying for it out of pocket. Still I think perceived overpricing on Sony pro products is a widely held opinion just like many other premium brands. The price you pay for some small plastic accessory piece or a legacy Memory Stick for example for a piece of Sony gear that won't accept any newer Memory Sticks is unearthly. Sony tells me the extent of its engineering man hours and research is among the top in the industry and that's where the cost is. For some of their flagship products this is evident in the performance. I've used more than a fair share of Sony equipment however that breaks down badly and doesn't hold up to this claim. So to me a higher price point never automatically equates to a better product. To raise the bar even more on competing with Panasonic Sony might want to rethink their pricing structure. One area Panny has always hit Sony in has been lower price points for competing products and they've firmly established this perception in user minds. I've put in many hours with Panny gear but still for equipment acquisition my first choice has always been Sony so I want to see them put out the best possible gear in every way.

Just want to point out that the Far Red answer is something I think the community will answer. Considering how far we've come with this issue I think there's nothing wrong with that. Either that or I have given up the will to complain about it!!
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Have you checked the latest pricing information? B&H has it listed for $7790.00 and for that price you still have to deal with its wrist breaking weight and poor balance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Both are overpriced. I would place the EX1R no more than 7450k and the 350 at 14k. Nanoflash aside, 350 is still 4.2.0, 35mbps. The market has changed and the age of 40k-50k broadcast betacams is long gone.
I would like to see why is EX1R almost $1600 more then EX1? After all the improvements are basically fixes of design flaws from early EX1's. $500 more gets you EX3, I would predict a drastic drop in sales.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Have you checked the latest pricing information? B&H has it listed for $7790.00 and for that price you still have to deal with its wrist breaking weight and poor balance.
Something that size would be tough to turn into a truly "handy" camera. The lens alone is at least half the camera.

I always use it with a shoulder brace. It stabilzes the camera, keeps it from pitching and rolling, and provides some additional support.

The only time the shoulder brace isn't used is when the camera's used with a teleprompter or on a jib.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I wonder if Sony might offer an option to have an EX1 upgraded with the better IR filter and get the pre-record cache activated?

I can live without the rest. But these two features would be really nice to have. Especially the pre-record cache.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
I would imagine that when the camera actually is close to shipping, Sony will have posted a MAP, which will undoubtedly be right around the same price as the current EX-1
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
The Memory Stick adapter is a nice acknowledgment of the need for alternative media and "Emergency Recording" is exactly the right purposing! But Sony you should have bit the bullet and made this SDHC.
Rather, CF. With SanDisk Extreme IV 45 MB/sec Extreme Pro 90 MB/second CF cards, your transfer time is now limited by your harddisk or USB. A PCI-E slot for reading CF cards would be awesome.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

shoulder brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
Something that size would be tough to turn into a truly "handy" camera. The lens alone is at least half the camera.

I always use it with a shoulder brace. It stabilzes the camera, keeps it from pitching and rolling, and provides some additional support.

The only time the shoulder brace isn't used is when the camera's used with a teleprompter or on a jib.
Aloha Dean,
what shoulder brace do you use?
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Wayne...

I'm using a CAvision shoulder brace. But it's been modified.

The camera platform isn't stock. I built it out of plexiglass and epoxy.

And the rods are solid carbon fiber, not hollow as the original.

BTW, if you get Oceanic Cable there, you can see the show I produce, "Hawaii Goes Fishing". It's shot entirely with the EX1.

Aloha,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds