Any Advice please! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Nexto NVS

I can't say enough good things about the Nexto NVS2500. I took one on a recent shoot to Costa Rica, and had zero problems offloading hours of SxS, SDHC and CompactFlash footage shot with the EX1 (including the CD NanoFlash) and Panasonic GH1. The only real issue is that the unit can't playback the Nano or GH1 footage, only native EX1 and P2 clips.

But it was exactly what I needed for that trip, and for upcoming trips as well.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #17
Major Player

Nice to know you can off-load nanoFlash footage onto it!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The Fujitsu Amilo 3520 has an express card slot and 60gb hard drive.
AMILO Mini Ui 3520 - Small & light mini-notebook, colorful clip-on covers - Fujitsu

I have one of these running OS-X. Picked it up on ebay brand new for £90. Works great.
Sorry to hijack , how easy was it to get it to run OS-X and what version are you running?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #19
Trustee

Sony SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader

I was thinking of getting the Sony SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader to offload the clips I recorded at my Weddings. I don't need to offload during the wedding, just when I arrive home afterwards.
I use the EX3 to copy from the SxS cards to the PC but it takes a long time to offload a 32gb and two 8gb cards.

I don't have a laptop, perhaps it would be a better buy than the card reader?

Is there any other device on the market that lets you copy the SxS cards to the PC faster than the camera.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Anthony,

I don’t own nor have I used the Sony SxS Card Reader so can’t comment on it’s speed or performance. Furthermore I have never connected the camera to the PC in order to download clips either but would assume that is the slowest method. Downloading on to my laptop is quite slow and often, make a cup of tea while it is doing so.

If I was in your position I’d purchase the Sony SxS Card Reader apposed to a laptop.

(Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve been away)
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Anthony - don't know if it matters to you, but the Sony SBAC-US10 will NOT work with the SDHC card adapters.

I wonder if their card reader will work with their new memory stick adaptors? You would thinks so...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
If I was in your position I’d purchase the Sony SxS Card Reader apposed to a laptop.

(Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve been away)
Thanks Paul, no worries :)... the card reader is cheaper than the laptop but I'm starting to wonder, its about half the price of a laptop, well, the one i was looking at. One with a eSATA port and this would let me copy/offload direct to my external H.Drive. Just a thought.

Kevin, I didn't know that, thanks. I don't know but you would think it would work with the new memory stick adaptors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Anthony - don't know if it matters to you, but the Sony SBAC-US10 will NOT work with the SDHC card adapters.

I wonder if their card reader will work with their new memory stick adaptors? You would thinks so...

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; November 10th, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #23
Major Player

I struggled with what to do for in field transfers too. Since I use FCP, I didn't want to go the PC route. What I ultimately decided on was a 13" Mac Book Pro. It's small enough to travel in my camera bag. I can do full editing on it - screen size and processor speed are quite adequate. Battery-life is great.

To me the Nexto NVS2500 is just too pricey for me. And an external battery? Come on! A fully loaded MBP 13" is a lot cheaper. Less portable for sure, but it can do a lot more. I need a computer on trips anyways to check email, so it's not extra equipment.

The Nexto 2700 would be an option in a pinch. But having one button for both copy and delete scares me. Couldn't they have spent a little extra for another button? Or a way to disable deleting completely. Plus, I want some visual confirmation of the copy.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I would still go with the Nexto box over a laptop. One step backups, no need for USB drives and cables, much simpler.
Alister, this is why the only netbook or laptop I would suggest is one with an expresscard slot. Pull up Clip browser and then shut the laptop. when you need to dump in the field just open the laptop, insert card and copy. Plus expresscard is so nice and fast compared to USB transfers. Also, we are talking about 300-400 dollars (US) for one of these compared to the pricey Nexto or $2000+ Sony will charge for their little box. I personally just carry my 15" MBP and rip down with expresscard slot. Unfortunately apple doesn't sell this model anymore. I have been thinking of getting one these netbooks simply as a dump station for on-the-go shooting. It's small and light in the backpack and keeps me from taking my $2000+ laptop everywhere.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds