EX3 already has improved IR cut. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
will post new shots in a minute or two
Vincent:

I guess I'm confused. The Canon guy's shirt, indeed, appears to be brown. But the camera in his hand, several signs behind him, the lavalliere mic against his shirt, the railings and the ornamental bracing in the rafters are all black. How's that happen?

Also... I've had an EX3 since June of this year and I have never seen the problem.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Vincent:

I guess I'm confused. The Canon guy's shirt, indeed, appears to be brown. But the camera in his hand, several signs behind him, the railings and the ornamental bracing in the rafters are all black. How's that happen?

Also... I've had an EX3 since June of this year and I have never seen the problem.
Yes, now you're getting the problem: different materials will exhibit different shades of yuk instead of black. The camera is paint on metal which, in this instance, did not exhibit the problem but the synthetic shirt did. Not all blacks exhibit this problem, and some exhibit the problem worse than others. I have had a subject wear a jacket made of two different types of material, both appearing black to the naked eye, but show up on my one-year-old EX3 as completely different shades of yuk - it made his jacket look ludicrous and the footage was useless.

This is why it's nearly impossible to fix in post.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I got my EX3 in July of the year and it still has the same problem my Dec '07 EX1 had with IR. That's why I have a 486 filter on it all the time.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Graham View Post
This is why it's nearly impossible to fix in post.
Brooks, I've never seen anything like this that can't be fixed in post. I use Avid, but FCP3's Color has even better color correction tools than Avid does.

Some things are close to impossible, but I don't think this is one of them.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Trustee

I've come across brown blacks with my EX3 a number of times, and if anyone wants proof I've got the footage to show it. It isn't lighting because I was shooting with the EX as a B camera white balanced to the same white balance card as the A camera under the same lighting. My Nottingham Buggies thing I shot the other week suffers from it too with the centres owners black fleece coming out brown. The EX3 might be improved, but the issue is most definitely still there in a big way.

Quote:
I've never seen anything like this that can't be fixed in post.
It is hard to fix in post because even with secondary correction you might end up colour correcting objects that are supposed to be brown and look the same to the camera. Which means you have to use vignettes and tracking. Far more trouble than it is worth for simple edits. I don't mind doing grading for clients who pay for it. But otherwise I shouldn't have to touch the likes of Apple Color.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Major Player

bought my EX-3 this March '09 and I get plenty of red in black clothing. Just saw it last week again. I see it in indoor ambient daylight, pure quartz tungsten lighting and also in mixed commercial interior lighting, mostly flourescents. I've dialed down the chroma in my picture profile and that helps a LITTLE bit.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #22
Regular Crew

From an EX1, just wanted to share. Late 2008 model. Impossible for me to correct in FCP because of very similar background colors. Maybe a pro could have fixed it but no budget for that. Bought the 486 after this :(

Warehouse: Sunlight
Bedroom: Tungsten
Liquor Store: Fluorescent
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 already has improved IR cut.-sunlight.jpg   EX3 already has improved IR cut.-tungsten.jpg  

EX3 already has improved IR cut.-fluorescent.jpg  
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
I have my EX3 just about 6 or 7 months and have most definitely seen the problem with the blacks turning brownish.
My EX3 is 10 months old. First thing tested was IR contamination and yes, very obvious problem. To this point I've been using the Schneider 486 filter to manage Sony's vaunted "design feature."
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #24
Major Player

Hello to everyone,
I purchased my EX3 in late August 09 and I have had major issues with IR. Most of my work is with corporate and live stage event where we have plenty of black dinner suites and artificial lights. I could not use my camera for my production work until the ir issue was fixed. Our local Sony service centre said they have never had a complaint about this problem and they checked the Sony service web site with no report about this issue. I have now made a written complaint with the Sony service centre and they are making enquiries direct with Sony. I was told this was a slow process it can take months to get results. ( Gee they took my money pretty quick)

In desperation I ordered a Tiffen 1ir filter and it arrived yesterday and after some quick testing I can confirmed the ir problem has gone. The downside is the extra cost and I have lost 1 fstop. I am not sure what effect the filter will have if left on the camera permanently, I use 4x4 filters so it’s no big deal to remove it. When you work low light conditions losing 1 fstop really effects your depth of field on 20’ deep stage. If Sony had the right filter in place I believe that at the worst I may lose up to ½ fstop or at the best not lose nothing. I refuse to believe that Sony are not aware of this problem.

To Sony I say it’s time for you to be a good corporate citizen and repair the camera’s that have this fault.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Steve, how did you fix it in post?
I tried it using only FCP tools and it was impossible for me.

Perhaps I have over simplified "fixing in post". I use Color (well I attempt to) to tweak the image to get rid of the Yuk. It works to a degree but there are drawbacks as other colours are affected.

Last night I picked up the IR T1 filter off Ebay for £45 and it should be with me tomorrow. Reports say its the problem solver so I will know this weekend as I am filming a wedding with lots of black suits.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #26
Trustee

Lance,
I've been shooting stage shows since the EX1 first came out. Despite the extra cost I think you'll find the 486 better suited to your needs. We're never shooting wide enough for the downside of the 486 to be a problem.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
My EX3 is 10 months old. First thing tested was IR contamination and yes, very obvious problem. To this point I've been using the Schneider 486 filter to manage Sony's vaunted "design feature."
Hi Barry, thats what i did, I bought the 486 filter before I bought my EX3. During my first wedding recorded with the Ex3 I had to fit the filter and I've kept it on since, seams to have fixed the problem.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I wonder if this is fixed in the new EX1r.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
I wonder if this is fixed in the new EX1r.
Apparantly it is!

I see the far red problem on my EX-3 which was one of the very first batch in the UK.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #30
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I have just been told that the EX3 already has an improved far-infra red cut-off filter! This is news to me, but came from a source that is reliable and should know! It might explain why I have never found red contamination to be an issue as I use my EX3 for most jobs. My contact was not sure whether the new filter was fitted to the EX3's from the start or introduced later in the production run. Also there have been some changes made to the sealing of the optical block on later units to prevent dust ingress.

So, who with an EX3 has seen the problem or is it just EX1 owners?
Does your source say exactly when this was supposed to have happened Alister? We invested in brand new, boxed EX3's about 4 months ago, and have had to buy an add-on IR filter for each one.
Steve Blackwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds