EX1 footage into Power Point at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 footage into Power Point

While I have dreams of taking Speilbergs seat, today I have a paying client who wants us to deliver our EX1 video in a format that they can drop into a Power Point presentation. We have diligently tried many formats with no luck.

Has anyone had success at outputting something that will play well within a Power Point presentation.

thanks in advance
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kiger View Post
While I have dreams of taking Speilbergs seat, today I have a paying client who wants us to deliver our EX1 video in a format that they can drop into a Power Point presentation. We have diligently tried many formats with no luck.

Has anyone had success at outputting something that will play well within a Power Point presentation.

thanks in advance
Use Windows Media. Have done this for many clients and Windows Media files always seem to work fine with Powerpoint.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dear Greg,

You first have to encode the footage using squeeze or compressor to a mpg4, Mov. or windows format then go to PPT and inset them in.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can't Power Point handle H.264 MOV files?
Encode to that in Compressor, etc.

If they want WMV, then get Telestream Flip4Mac and encode to that (encodes with all Quicktime based apps, Compressor, etc).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
New Boot

Ppt

You can make a lot of different files work, but the easiest and best for PowerPoint is a Windows Media file. And keep in mind that it's not embedded into the PowerPoint - it's being referenced by it. So whenever you move the PowerPoint file, you have to move the video file with it and probably relink it.
Scott Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Can't Power Point handle H.264 MOV files?
Encode to that in Compressor, etc.

If they want WMV, then get Telestream Flip4Mac and encode to that (encodes with all Quicktime based apps, Compressor, etc).
Powerpoint uses Windows Media player to play back video that is embedded in a slide. Therefore you are entirely dependant on what codecs an individual machine has. Just because H264 works on your own machine doesn't guarantee it will work on the clients.

There is nothing worse than a client arriving at a site to find their Powerpoint slide won't work because they are loading the presentation onto a machine with a base Windows install.

In which case it is always safest to use Windows Media. They'd have to have a really old install (pre 2002) for it not to work. It's a standard codec on Windows machines and has been for a number of years which means you won't get angry phonecalls from your client demanding to know why their slide suddenly doesn't work.

I have seen some people use MPEG 1 in preference to Windows Media but frankly unless there's any risk of a PC that is more than about 7 years old being used I wouldn't bother.

In short WMV will just work. I've used it on countless presentations, the only problems I've ever had were user error.

Also remember that Powerpoint only references the file so ideally you need to keep it in the same directory as the presentation. No video file, no playback.

Also take into account the bitrate and resolution you use. Business machines tend not to be the highest spec in the world so if you are encoding high bitrate HD video be sure that the target machine can play it back. I tend to play it conservative to be on the safe side because I know some clients are running older laptops with integrated graphics.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Very helpful as always - thanks so much to you all :)
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

OK, sounds like the goal is to get a Windows Media WMV however ....we can't see a way to render the video in a WMV format in either QT Pro or FCP.

Any further suggestions?

thanks
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

You need to buy the Flip4Mac plugin:

Telestream Flip4Mac WMV - Overview

Or you can just download the free Windows Media encoder from Microsoft if you have access to a Windows PC or have a dual boot/Parallels. Although you'll need to make sure your video is in a format Windows can play first if you do it that way.
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Brilliant - we will give it a try :)

cheers Marcus
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Or use any standard XP, Vista or Win7 machine and run the free Microsoft Media Encoder.

The free version encodes up to 20Mbps. If they use an older computer for playback, keep the bitrate between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Check if WMV v9 is supported or else revert to WMV v7.
I had exellent results with WMV v9 at 20Mbps 1080p25 on 5m screens.

Feed this encoder with AVI compressed or uncompressed files.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds