DVD Upconversion Methods... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Major Player

DVD Upconversion Methods...

So I finally bought a 26" LCD HDTV. Previously I have owned a 57" rear projection HDTV. Going through my DVD archive I'm a little perturbed.

My downconverted 24p projects from the EX1 look awesome. I'd say they look indistinguishable from HD. I'm using a Toshiba HD-DVD player which is known for top-notch upconversion. HOWEVER, my 60i projects look worse than MiniDV!

This is frustrating because on my older set this footage looks fine upconverted. I *believe* it's a native interlaced display. So my question is do these players handle upconverting progressive sourced footage(even though it's converted to 60i for the DVD standard) better than interlaced-sourced material or am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone have luck with upconverted interlaced footage looking good on an LCD HDTV? Does using Black Magic Design/similar hardware offer better quality downconverting? I ask because I am about to start a major project and planned to shoot 1080/60i but now I am second guessing my decision because of this. And if the footage looks this poor on my 26" display I can only imagine now crappy it looks on a 65".

60i HD footage with the EX1 hooked to this TV looks great. Even in SP mode. So I'm thinking maybe it's the player's inability to upconvert interlaced footage well?
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Major Player

I found an old test DVD and sure enough proper progressive scan converted footage (even though DVD spec is interlaced I figure a flag is set for progressive that the player reads) and some reverse pulldown is going on.

I like the look of 60i. I don't like the resolution loss of 720/60p. So I think what I may do is shoot 60i and hire a conversion company with a Snell & Wilcox machine to give me a standard def master. Software conversion isn't cutting it and I've definitely seen better commercially released 60i DVDs on this TV than what I can get with my own tools.

Man does that 24p footage look good though! Jeez...

By the way I forgot to mention that 30p is not an option for me as the project may be sold internationally and from what I've read 30p to PAL is a no-go.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Adam,

I don't know your particular HDTV model, etc. - what I know for sure though is this:

- with the awesome EX imaging, forget about interlaced, and stick with progressive (24p in your case, 25p in mine)...

Piotr
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post

By the way I forgot to mention that 30p is not an option for me as the project may be sold internationally and from what I've read 30p to PAL is a no-go.
Shoot in 30p, PAL TV and DVD players have no problem playing "NTSC", but NTSC TVs can't handle PAL.

I have just released my latest DVD "a guide to digital printing & scanning" this was all shot in NTSC and had no complaints from here in the UK - so far over 45,000 copies have been distributed and sold.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try this software. Iam using it frequently.
Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced 1.0
John Poipie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds