DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony SxS cards versus SDHC Class 6 cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467731-sony-sxs-cards-versus-sdhc-class-6-cards.html)

Paul Kellett December 6th, 2009 04:06 PM

I think i read somewhere that the new firmware stops the camera recording again until the light goes green, even if the user hits the record button,it makes sense to impliment this in a firmware upgrade, it takes the operator error out of the equation.
I'm aware of waiting for the light though so i wouldn't risk doing a home firmware upgrade just for this safety feature.
I'm aware that we're talking "sony" prices with the adaptor but it's still cheaper than the sxs route, also i think that there's gonna be more piece of mind than with Transcend and the other adators.

Paul.

Dean Harrington December 6th, 2009 05:17 PM

SanDisk Extreme ...

I'll be shooting a conference/speech on economics today with the SanDisk 32g Extreme (class 10) cards today. I'll let you know if there are any problems. This class of card should have 0 problems ... ! Anyone with experience on these cards ... let me know.

Marcus Durham December 6th, 2009 05:55 PM

I've been having a play with the ATP/MxM combo.

The headline is that the ATP/MxM lockable will overcrank at 48 fps for ages. In fact I got it to 20 minutes before I had to move on.

The same ATP card in a standard MxM gives a Media Restore after 29 seconds at the same frame rate with the same material in the viewfinder.

I've done a write up here:

Further Adventures with SDHC and the EX1 | Media2u Video Production Blog

I'll add to it as and when I get time. I really want to try and fill a card at 48fps if I can.

For UK users wanting the ATP cards and an adaptor, the MxM/ATP bundles certainly seem to be the way to go.

I also put one of my "bad" Transcends into the MxM. No difference in performance. A bad card is still a bad card. But the ATP's do get a write speed boost in the MxM adaptors it seems.

John Harbor December 6th, 2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 1457081)
I'll be shooting a conference/speech on economics today with the SanDisk 32g Extreme (class 10) cards today. I'll let you know if there are any problems. This class of card should have 0 problems ... ! Anyone with experience on these cards ... let me know.

I have a pair of them at the moment......
I have yet to fill them and do the full 32gig test, but so far they have been great..... put them in using the MxM lockable cards, shut the door..... I like that part.... the camera liked them and away we went.....all a bit painless so far.
Let you know if that changes at all.

Duncan Craig December 7th, 2009 06:05 AM

I got an error message yesterday on a shoot, does anyone have a link to a list of error messages for the EX1?

The error message came up after making a short 30 second or so recording, and the camera locked up. I only noticed it when the camera refused to start recording on the next shot.

I had to power cycle it, and then it asked to restore media. Nothing was lost.

(It was a lingerie shoot, so I expect you guy won't be interested in me posting any screen shots to help sort the problem out ;-) )

Dave Morrison December 7th, 2009 01:35 PM

Duncan, I'd be willing to troubleshoot that footage for you. Did I mention I live alone? ;)