Why won't Flash Band correction work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why won't Flash Band correction work?

Okay, so I just excitedly installed CB 2.6 after discovering it is now available to download in the States:

I install it, select my folder for corrected clips to go to in Preferences, load a folder in CB of video of a photoshoot I shot, found a clip with a few nasty "flash bands", select "Detect and Correct Flash Bands" from the menu, watch as some processing happens and then ...NOTHING.

It says "Clips Detected: 1, Clips Corrected: 0" and alas, nothing happened. No new, corrected clip of my photoshoot video free from ugly flash bands. Nothing. I am sad.

Anyone get this new feature to work? I threw a clip at it that had several flashes for it to chew on, but it spat back nothing.
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Try checking Preferences>Flash Band and see where it is putting the corrected clip.

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I checked in the folder for the corrected clips and it was empty. In the Dialog Window the software says: "Clips Detected: 1, Clips Corrected: 0". So it seems to not even process the correction. And I chose a clip with several flashes, so even if it didn't catch all of them, I would expect it to catch most of them (or some of them). It's not doing anything!
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills View Post
it is now available to download in the States
It is? Where?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the other thread.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brian,

you are not the only one with these problem:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...g-shutter.html

Steve and I have the same trouble. He's using Windows 7 and I use Vista 64. To find the problem it would be good to know on what OS you are working?

Did somebody else here tested the auto falsh detection and got it working?

Swen

P.S.: Brian, maybe it's a Las Vegas problem. lol I just moved from Germany to Vegas a couple of weeks ago.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Having now done some tests:

- the flash detection is hit and miss, with a lot more misses than hits. The flashes it does detect are not the most obvious ones. It struggles with correcting bursts of flashes, even if detected manually.

- the operation is not intuitive. The Flash Band tab is not populated with detected flashes until you click the Load button, and you need to navigate to the directory where the corrected clips are saved to see the results.

Maybe v2.7 will be better :-)

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Nick,

thank you for your test. Can you please let us know on which OS you installed the Clip Browser?
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Wilson View Post
Having now done some tests:

- the flash detection is hit and miss, with a lot more misses than hits. The flashes it does detect are not the most obvious ones. It struggles with correcting bursts of flashes, even if detected manually.

- the operation is not intuitive. The Flash Band tab is not populated with detected flashes until you click the Load button, and you need to navigate to the directory where the corrected clips are saved to see the results.

Maybe v2.7 will be better :-)

N
So Nick, what do you mean by detecting "manually"? I only see "In/Out Section" or "Whole Range" as the only two choices. I tried both and couldn't get ANYTHING. When you say manually, do you have to put the in/out marks on the one frame of video you want to correct?

You know what would be nice about now...oh, maybe a PDF MANUAL. SONY, are you listening?
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post

P.S.: Brian, maybe it's a Las Vegas problem. lol I just moved from Germany to Vegas a couple of weeks ago.
Welcome to Vegas, Swen. We got a lot of problems here, and Clip Browser is only one of them!
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Brian,

detecting "manually" works like this: Scrub through the timeline to the first frame where you can see a half-screen flash. Then you have first to click on "Load" then you will get access to the "Add" button which will make an timcode point. With the "preview" button you can have a look how the Clip Browser did correct the Flash. The result doesn't look like a perfect result, but when you watch the clip at normal speed it looks good for me at least way better than without correction.

However, I still can't get the automatic mode to detect some flashes. I allways thought it can't be that hard for a software to do this. Just have a look for a frame with and without flash on your waveform monitor of you NLE... that's a big brightness change for just one or two frames. Cheap picture cameras can detecting automatically a smiling face nowadays, but a Broadcast Tool can not find a flash in the picture? Strange.
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post
Nick,

thank you for your test. Can you please let us know on which OS you installed the Clip Browser?
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills View Post
So Nick, what do you mean by detecting "manually"? I only see "In/Out Section" or "Whole Range" as the only two choices. I tried both and couldn't get ANYTHING. When you say manually, do you have to put the in/out marks on the one frame of video you want to correct?

You know what would be nice about now...oh, maybe a PDF MANUAL. SONY, are you listening?
The manual is attached - it came with the download of v2.6 from the Sony UK site.

You can tell it (by clicking the Add button) that a frame has flash banding. However, it doesn't seem to handle consecutive frames with flash artifacts and, given that the auto detect didn't find any banding, it seems unlikely that auto correct will know what to do with the frame.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CB2.6_E Users Guide.pdf (7.77 MB, 680 views)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds