Clip Browser problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Clip Browser problems

I've had some minor issues with clips off of my SxS cards in the past, but ever since installing the latest driver about a week ago, it's been a nightmare. I'm not on Snow Leopard- I'm still on 10.4.11, and the driver should have worked, but instead caused kernel panics on every attempt to download footage. After figuring out how to uninstall the driver and reverting to the 1.0 driver, things started working again.

After that (and it may be totally unrelated), I started having other problems. Using Clip Browser 2.5, I started getting intermittent CRC errors. It's never on the same clip- sometimes I can only copy a couple clips before the error, sometimes half the clips, sometimes the whole card- different results resulting from multiple attempts with the same card, usually after quitting apps and restarting. After several attempts and getting a successful offload, I convert with XDCAM Transfer 2.10. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes I get errors noting an incorrect directory. Again, it's never repeated on the same clip- it's a different clip on each attempt, and sometimes it works completely. Once I successfully convert the files, they all seem to test out fine in FCP. Today, I upgraded to Clip Browser 2.6 (uninstalled 2.5 first), and the problems are unchanged.

I started using XDCAM transfer straight from the cards, and there haven't been any errors at all. That seems to imply that the camera is fine, and potentially implies that my computer system is fine, and that the problem is with Clip Browser. Considering I've already uninstalled 2.5 and installed 2.6 with no luck, maybe that's not actually the case. I haven't located any preference files or other associated files that could be corrupt- can anyone point me to anything I should trash, or any other steps I can take? One theory I have is that the bad driver corrupted something in Clip Browser, and that corrupt file is still screwing things up. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

scratch that

Looks like Clip Browser isn't the problem. To troubleshoot, I just copied over a card using the Finder, and then converted with XDCAM Transfer. Imported to FCP and the clips are all screwed up. I've had some glitches similar to these in the past (inconsistent in appearance, and I've always had success reconverting them). Starting to suspect I've got a firmware problem with the camera. This is the kind of glitch I'm seeing in the footage:

Andy Schocken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds