XDCAM EX ingest straight to Apple ProRes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 24th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM EX ingest straight to Apple ProRes?

Im looking for a way to ingest my phootage straight to prores.
I know what your going to say (stay in XDCAM EX, itīs native..) but please give me an answer if you got one since I cant get it from Apple =(

My situation is as follow:

I shoot in 720/50p and want the option to use Cinematools right away in FCP without rendering to ProRes every clip.

Having the clips in ProRes will give me the option of conforming the phootage from 50p to 25p with 50% slow WITH sound in a quick way.

What I do now is ingesting the phootage as usual with log and transfeer, I get everything as XDCAM EX codec and then have to render every clip out to ProRes from the timeline/compressor. But im hoping to do all this in just one step just like you can do with the P2 right from the log and transfeer tool.
Is there a plugin or simular out there that im not aware of?

Thanks for all you help
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

You need hardware that can capture HDSDI or component from the EXcam.

Like AJA or Matrox hardware, and it may not be much faster than transcoding, because it is 1 to 1 real time capturing.

Using transfer from express card is 5x to 9x real time in my experience.

And transcoding can be done when away from the computer and it is also faster than real time, depending on hardware.

The AJA, Matrox or whatever hardware is of course very useful for monitoring and final output. I have several suites with digitizing hardware, but I always transcode from EX files, I find it faster and way more convenient.

The EX files are also much smaller for archiving.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I know that I can you an Aja box or Io system with HD-SDI but that wasnīt realy the question I was asking...

Im wanted to hear if anyone knew of a plugin or simular to enable me to import the footage straight to ProRes in Final Cut. Via the log and transfeer tool or the XDCAM Transfeer software. Why do I want to do this? Becouse I wanna remove one step to make my workflow faster when I shoot 50p or 60p and it is only in this situation I need it to be ingesting straight to ProRes (see workflow in original Q) I accualy work with FCP soultions in a close connection to Apple and theire developers here in Sweden but sometimes smart thirdparty plugins exist without our knowlage. I was hoping this was one of those times ;)
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Major Player

The only thing I can think of that might help would be to use compressor to batch process all of your imported clips, that would undoubtedly be quicker then doing them one at a time. I know that you can import HDV files directly to prores but don't know of a way to do it with xdcam files.
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ahh thanks =) I was looking at doing a batch process as my second choise but was clinging on to the id of a easy import to remove the whole step of getting two set of files on the computer.
Thanks for your answer though.
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't find any advantage in converting XDCAM EX 1920 x 1080 50i to ProRes before placing clips on the timeline. Indeed. some actions seem to be quicker when using native XDCAM EX files on a ProRes timeline.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Agree Geoff I use the native codec of the XDCAM EX and find it very fast and no loss in quality.
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Addis View Post
I don't find any advantage in converting XDCAM EX 1920 x 1080 50i to ProRes before placing clips on the timeline. Indeed. some actions seem to be quicker when using native XDCAM EX files on a ProRes timeline.

Geoff
Sorry... but again.. I dont think you read the question.. Im looking for the possability to use I-frame codec advantages, such as Cinematools for quick convertion from 50p to 25p with 50% slow WITH sound.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Try taking the clips right into Compressor and then going out ProRes HQ. This will by pass FC and allow lossless footage. I do this with Convergent Designs Nano footage if I am sending to Premier Pro. Just learned this trick yesterday.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds