Need protective filter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #16
Inner Circle

My mentor in the 70s also advised fitting a multi-coated UV and leaving it there, but he was dealing with huge gates, 2¼ square and 36 x 24 mm. 17 mm was considered a very wide-angle indeed.

Now I'm shooting at a focal length of 2.75 mm, something he would never have considered in his wildest dreams. Knowing the massive dof bestowed at such focal lengths would (I'm sure) have him changing his recommendation.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Generally, I keep a UV on all the time -- and because I'm using the T1 IR frequently, that's becoming a default "protector", too.

It's not just black suits at weddings that require the T1-R, it's everything that is black. Whether shooting drama or docos day or night, black is present virtually all the time -- necessitating, for me, the use of the filter just as often as black occurs.

I did shoot with an Ike-E for several years, and I don't remember using a "protector" filter. I didn't trash the lens, but I came close a few times.

If I didn't have the black issue with the EX1, I would go bareback in interiors where there is great contrast and I need the stops (the IR steals 3/4 stop).

Ideally, one piece of glass is best, but shooting conditions are rarely ideal.

Last edited by Mark Savage; December 6th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Regarding optical performance, I have to agree with Tom as I have witnessed increased flare under certain conditions when using a filter in front of the EX1's lens. However, that said, I normally have an anti infra red filter fitted for both safety and optical reasons and exercise care in positioning my camera.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds