IR Filters for EX1r for night shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #1
New Boot

IR Filters for EX1r for night shooting?

I will be required to film sections of a documentary in a dark environment. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an Infrared filter that will fit the EX1r and allow it to shoot a subject that has been lit with Infrared light? Also, is there a reasonably priced IR filter or gel I can use over a normal (LED) camera or spot light?
Many thanks,

Bruce Quayle
Bruce Quayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You will need a dedicated IR capable camera or one where the IR cut filter has been removed. Simply adding an additional filter to the front of a camera will not make it work with IR.

I use a Sony HC1 with dedicated infra-red illuminators. The IR lamps can be picked up very cheaply on ebay.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Alister,
I thought that might be the answer...but hope springs eternal. I have a consumer model that shoots in "night shot" mode with a built-in IR light, and was hoping the sort of technology that makes that possible might also be available in an add on form.
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Quayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The question is why Sony not just put their night view option also in cams like the EX1?

Years ago I allways thought night shoot is a useless option for consumer camcorders, but during the years I found myself in situations where a night shoot mode would be a very interesting option for documentation work.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
New Boot

infrared light test footage

Hi guys ive been using Band A IR for about 20 years and besides using a SONY NIGHTSHOT camera and adding your own lighting i found modifing an old or new even CCTV camera and building a lighting unit to match the distance i was working at here are 3 LED based lights home made see what you think
YouTube - Mike Dixon helps test the new lights
in this clip i have the 216 LED unit running (max dist for Video 60mtrs)
Tony Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Major Player

dont all these low-light cameras pick up SOME IR ? like if you aim a remote control at it, cant they see the led flashing?

and if the IR led does show up, couldnt you just put some Major IR lighting on the subject and get at least some picture?
i tested both a consumer supernightshot camera (not set for nightshot) and it can see the led, but so to can the PD250, but not as bright.

pound the subject with some major watts of IR and i bet you can see something, just nothing like a supernightshot can. like with multiple 3watt Lumileds IR LEDs with tight optics (watts not milliwats or milicandela like 5mm leds).

i agree filters are light blocking items, unless the camera can pick up IR to begin with, no filter will change that unless it changes the lights frequency itself. but then again no filter blocks everything it is supposed to, so the IR filters still allow some light through.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds