Jumpiness in video when panning and zooming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Jumpiness in video when panning and zooming

I couldn't think of a better title for my situation.

I watched some footage from today and noticed a lot of jumpyness in the video when panning and both panning & zooming. It was shot at 1080 30p with Shutter set to 1/60 in the MENU BUT the LCD shows Shutter:Off. I thought that setting shutter in the dang Menu was enough. I then found the other section in the Menu for Full control of the on-screen display.

So, besides me being an idiot, is there any way to smooth out this footage? (on a PC using Premiere/AE CS4)

Thanks

PS I played the video in both ClipBrowser and Premiere and my PC is very fast so the problem doesn't lie there.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

One of the really big differences shooting in 24p and 30p to almost the same extent, is the 7 second rule.

Never move camera or let an object move through the shooting field faster than 7 seconds. Be very smooth and slow in your moves. Unless you are going for an effect.

60i/60p or 50i/50p is very forgiving of fast moves. Slower frame rates are not.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Trustee

No kidding!!
If I am shooting any sort of action footage, or footage with a lot of camera movement, I'll use 60i.
Also, I think maybe the shooter is more sensitive at spotting the "judder" in his own footage than other viewers might be. I see it in Hollywood films if I look for it, but I'm usually not looking & it passes without notice.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jumpiness in video when panning and zooming

Steve the screen says shutter off becasue the shutter switch on the front underside of the camcorder is in the off position. Switch it to on and the screen will read whatever you set the shutter on.
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Does your Premiere Pro have a Matrox Card? If so, then you shouldn't be shooting in 30p because Matrox cannot handle that. You MUST shoot and edit with the same specs. My Premiere Pro has the Matrox Axio card, so I both shoot and edit in 23.976 fps (1080 X 1920). I therefore have smooth zooms and pans. If you are viewing on a time line that does not match the specs that you shot the footage in, then you will get jittery moves.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Brian, what Matrox card are you referring to? I have the RT.X2 on my system, shoot in 30P almost always, and suffer no problems whatsoever. Any imported 1920x1080P footage is converted to 1440x1080P.The only time I have ever seem any jittery footage when panning on the EX-1 is when I was experimenting with it in full auto mode.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Eugene, thanks for the info ... I guess I've been confused in producing my first high definition production. I didn't know what 1440 X 1080 was, but did some research and understand it a bit better now. It has to do with square vs rectangle pixels, a 1.333 ratio. I've always set my EX-3 to 1080 X 1920, 23.976fps to match the same settings with my Matrox Axio card. But now I realize that I can shoot 29.97fps and set my Matrox Axio card setting in 29.97fps, with the 1440 X 1080 setting . . . thanks, it's been a bit confusing. I work alone and have no one to inform my old brain of modern technology.

I'll try working 29.97fps on my next project, because I buy a lot of stock footage that is shot in that format.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds