EX3 Under Low Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Major Player

EX3 Under Low Light

Hello can some advise me the best way to clean crisp images form the EX3 under low light while filming stage productions. The camera produces great crisp pictures in daylight but under low light they are soft. My SD camera produces better pictures in low light than the EX3.
Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Images are soft in low light? That's weird unless your backfocus is off. Is it the wide shots that are soft or close ups? If you lose focus when you zoom out esp when the lens is wide open its back focus . Same thing should happen outdoors if you put in enough shutter and ND to get your iris wide open.

If that's not it be more specific about the exact problem and post your camera settings.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe he's trying to use autofocus. That will cause problems for sure. But I wish the term "low light" were banned from existence. It tells less than nothing about what the shooting scenario is.
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Nothing I produce is even close to the level of the guys on this board but the EX seems to handle less than ideal lighting wonderfully.

for example... EDIT: didn't want the video to embed like that.. sorry. I just wanted a link.

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Guys,
Yeap I had auto focus on. The problem is that with HD you really have to nail the focus where the SD camera in the same conditions is a lot more forgiving and has a better depth of field.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Depth of field is a physical property relating to focal length, distance to subject, and sensor size. HD does not inherently have any less DOF than SD. What it does have is the resolution to SHOW you that you're out of focus more clearly.

So, I would advise you to

1. Get as close as you can
2. Select an F-Stop that keeps your entire area of interest in focus
3. Select gain and other setting that allow you to shoot with the chosen settings.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for that Perrone.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds