Does memory chunks like this work with SxS stuff? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Do memory chunks like this work with SxS stuff?

Transcend Solid State Disk - flash memory module - 32 GB - ExpressCard/34: Read product information and write a Transcend Solid State Disk - flash memory module - 32 GB - ExpressCard/34 review
(links are ONLY for the purpose of Picture)

FileMate SolidGO 64GB Solid State Drive (SSD) ExpressCard 34 with Mini USB 2.0, Model 3FMS4U64M-WR

Amazon.com: FileMate SolidGo 64GB ExpressCard 34 interface USB 2.0 MLC: Electronics

FileMate SolidGO 64GB Solid State Drive (SSD) ExpressCard 34 with Mini USB 2.0, Model 3FMS4U64M-WR
Transcend Solid State Disk - flash memory module - 32 GB - ExpressCard/34

people are saying the Speed of the filemate GO is like 100Mb/s or something, and i think gee 1/4th the price for 2times the memory, then i dont see any posts about people using this stuff, soooos i am askin.

i dont have a XDcam yet, but i am looking at option things, and i see SataII adapters, memory adapters for $25 and solid state drives that would work with USB(type) adapters, and am wondering.
while the sony trough has cavier in it, i eat top-ramen to be able to make a purchace, so this stuff is important to me.

and what about this new sandisk "express" stuff, "for videographers" , sounds like another "flash raid" type option.
SanDisk Express flash memory module - 16 GB - ExpressCard/34 - Specifications
(oops, guess that is as much as sony memory)

why does a simple flash raid system cost so much, if its the raid controller, then why dont they have one controller, and many chips to install to that one controller? Freaking $800 i could buy a real raid controller and 4X1T discs for that price. do they think video people have Deeeeeeep pockets?

umm, why dont they use a simple single 1T 3.5" hard drive , stop compressing everything to death, and piddling with little parts and pieces . 1Pound, 10W, 50MB/s speed sequential non-stop for hours on end, and they pick Flash ??? WHY?

Last edited by Marty Welk; December 11th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

The Sandisk Card is the same as the Sony Card. Hence, why the cards are called SxS (Sandisk and Sony). The only difference between them is the labels.

This has been mentioned in another thread a while back. The Transcend will NOT work with the EX cameras.

I wrote a post outlining all the current workable media for the EX cameras entitled Alternative Media for the Sony PMW-EX1 and the PMW-EX3 check it out as it’ll save you a lot of time, money and heart ache.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Major Player

so when they say transcend 32s dont work (here) they are speaking of that transcend ex34 type, not the adapter to the faster SDHC Class6 transcend 32. noticing the poor data rate reported on the transcend ex34.

test of the transcend 32 SDHC here, show it should be able to keep up with sequential writes of the data, but that wasnt in an adapter thing.

the sandisk is the same basic thing as sony, at the same basic price, which doesnt help :-)

so what about the 64gig thing there, anybody try that? because the CLAIM is that it can do the Mb/s and the problems i am reading about it are that it can fry itself due to hard running without proper cooling. because the continual frame rate the cam would be using is lower (than worked in a hot laptop), i wonder if it would survive. untill somone ran thier cam in 105*F weather, or "overcranked" for long times.

and has anybody used SATAII or USB adaptions? the "list" of options is so tiny , compared to the available items. only one user has reported using 1/2Price adapter that worked just like these $50 (sold) ones. i would think that laptop users would have tried all sorts of Stuff, not just stopped at the 3 adapters discussed everywhere?

speaking of flash, has anyone seen the elusive class 10 flash that is mentioned?
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Major Player

The Transcend SDHC Class 6 16GB and 32GB work in a MxR or MxM Adaptor. The Transcend Express 34 does not in the EX-1 or EX-3.

The SDHC Cards can cope with the EX format as long as you don’t overcrank.

As for the FileMate SolidGO 64GB, I have not personally tried it nor do I know anyone who has. I would say it probably would not work.

To be honest if you are going to fork out the $$$$ for an EX camera why skimp on tested media.

SXS Cards are totally reliable (never heard of one fail). You could look at the cheaper SxS-1 cards. Hoodman, MxR, MxM use SDHC cards with fair success. Sony have their version called the MEAD-MS01 that use memory sticks. You could use the Sony 60GB and 120GB hard drives or those by MxR.

All the above are proven EX media and cover all bases with a broad price range.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Major Player

why skimp?
i would never skimp if i had no "backup" and if even a single file would fail a minor corruption, or even a user error would exist , when filming a No-ReTake type of thing, i would be screwed, even sued. i have customers that somehow notice 8 freaking frames missing. (because it was thier piece)

so i Must have a backup, virtually doubling the already high costs.
so i am figuring it like this.

1x- 99.9% error free , way overpriced media storage
2x - 99% error free, overpriced media storage

as anyone who has gotten tape dropouts, or had some camera person hit the wrong button, or just missed it by >||< that much would know that a backup even working 90% of the time can save your butt that 5% of the time things fail because Humans are involved :-)

like say a backup that cant be paused, and never has TO be paused because it can keep backing up.

IMO i am not the one skimping anyways, the available solutions suck, they are way overpriced VRSES things we are doing every day all the time 99.8% reliably , like a good large hard drive unit that is faster cheaper and better, or simple Mirroring, or carting of the seperate raid units, or Tape even.
its a screwed up world :-) me i am perfectally sane :-)

SxS media has failed, i have read about situations where the card became unusable and was sent back, there are a few file issues that people had in various reports too, seems very reliable, but even the entire cameras themselves can fail, so seeing reports of things failing is nothing new. add in the humans and it fails many many more times over :-) as long as were still human, a backup would be better than unatainable perfection.

if throwing money at the situation worked, that wouldnt explain the digital garbage were seeing daily on digitally delivered broadcast. with digital delivery (not HD antenna) we can see pixel wipeouts ,freeze outs , and other such digital failures on US broadcast television. i assume they had the money, seeing the Stuff they are running.

Last edited by Marty Welk; December 11th, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Major Player

EX:
assume that a person is recording some far less compressed video data so they can edit it and color correct it after the fact. (lots and lots of time and data).
and assume that they have 2Lb batteries, and 12oz wireless mics and 2Lb cine additions to the glass, and are shooting at a stable location, instead of run-gun

a 2x speed single 3.5" 1T drive for data storage = $100
1TB (similar) slow speed cheap flash items $3838
a mirrored raid 1TB drive for storage - $200
storing (or archiving) back to HDV on DVCAM large tape 1TB - $480
4- 3x speed Corsair 256 GB Internal Solid State Drive 1TB total - $2916

2x speed sony solution for storing 1TB - $22,500 a deal at twice the price!

either there is something wrong with my math (as usual) or something right with thier CEOs 50million doller a year paycheck :-)
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Major Player

speaking of storage and Costs
my tape storage room has ~7000 Hours of footage in it (loosly counted), from years of shooting, which can include original raw masters and edited finals.

how exactally are people storing thier customers data with this stuff?
how am I gonna store this stuff.
Bwu-Ray output formats? disc carts?
as fast as technology moves, i can still make a copy of a thing shot 15 years ago, when the customers output copy has turned back into dust.
Blu-ray data storage would be very inexpencive, assuming the burnable dye can hold up as long as a hunk of plastic tape with polarized metalic particals on it.
the death by fingerprint option sounds great, even cheaper than previous storage methods, minus them dead people who put fingerprints on them when getting them out :-)
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
New Boot

FileMate SolidGO 64GB

I would be interested to find out if anyone has tested the FileMate SolidGO 48 - 64GB drive on a Ex1 or Ex3.
If you do let us know.
Dave Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The Transcend 8GB Expresscard34 SSD is working flawlessly in my EX1 (firmware 1.20).
Previous versions of the firmware would not even recognize the media.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grant View Post
I would be interested to find out if anyone has tested the FileMate SolidGO 48 - 64GB drive on a Ex1 or Ex3.
If you do let us know.
Bump - extremely interested in an answer on this one...
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Major Player

John, can you over crank that Transcend Expresscard SSD?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I was able to overcrank the Transcend 8GB SSD to 48fps, but not to 60.

I too, am interested to know if the FileMate SolidGO 48Gb works. Best of both worlds - PCIe on one end and USB on the other. Plus the read/write specs look very good.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram Yates View Post
Bump - extremely interested in an answer on this one...
It looks like everybody is waiting for someone else to take a chance on that.
But I'm not volunteering either; at the moment I feel I've got enough memorycapacity for now (112 GB full overcrank (80GB SxS) and 48 GB Trancend backup (just in case) ).
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:58 PM   #14
Major Player

i would be willing to test the solidgo 64 , if it wasnt for that money thing :-)
from what i get from the reviews , shoved into a laptop slot , which is highly insulative , it can overheat, when used a lot. overheat enough it will corrupt and fail , even permentally.

it runs really fast. and its a hot muther, so i percieve the use of it would be 2 ways to be effective and still work.
put in camera, camera data output is only so fast, so it shouldnt be getting to hot then.
put into USB adapter with air cooling ability to run hard and fast.
shoving into laptop with internal heat and slide pocket where it cant cool, would do to it, what it does worst, and that is run fast overheat and burn itself out.
so if i was going to test it, when running it fast, i would want air exposure/fan/good cooling.

Last edited by Marty Welk; March 31st, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Major Player

To me, when I hear "heat", I think "power draw"...

Maybe it would be good to compare the power needed to run these different devices like SXS, SDHC, and SSD. I believe there is a limit on the amount of power these slots will deliver. I think some where in this forum they were discussing that subject, maybe it was about powering a hard drive through a slot adaptor...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds