VCT-U14 Tripod wedge. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

VCT-U14 Tripod wedge.

How many of you are interested in the wedge for the Sony VCT-U14 camera plate?

I love that system, but the part is complex and expensive to produce, I am trying to figure out if it is worth making. I would have to order 200 in order to be able to sell them for $50.00 each.

I would appreciate any feedback and comments on this.

They would fit on my plate system or right on the EX1, Z5U base and any other camera with 1/4x20 threaded holes 1 1/8" apart. I can also add other holes. And the wedge could actually be a bit longer.

Below are a couple photos of the prototype I am currently using myself.
Attached Thumbnails
VCT-U14 Tripod wedge.-vct14.jpg   VCT-U14 Tripod wedge.-vct14b.jpg  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

There's a company in Canada that sells them for I think about $45. I ordered a couple last year and I think shipping was a little costly. So if you can beat them in overall cost + plus shipping I'm sure plenty of people would buy them.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Major Player

without trying to sound critical, what i see there seems like it would slop about , tiny ammounts just enough to tick me off, unless the back pin is also slotted?

even if that was a firm fit, wouldnt there be play without the back pin also in?
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Damn, I just got one of those $45 "toe plates" from VF gadgets, I'm assuming that's the company being talked about. $30 bucks for shipping...... an aluminum triangle and two screws.... $30 bucks.......I am not happy about that shipping cost......

Also this particular toe plate will not work for my purposes, it has a flange that sticks out.... I am also not happy about this .....

Your wedge looks like it would work on a generic "cheeseplate" with standard thread sizes, I'm thinking vct-u14 thread sizes here.... it also looks like it's flat and has no flange.

I would be interested in your wedge. My only request..... don't charge $30 bucks for shipping.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk Webb View Post
Damn, I just got one of those $45 "toe plates" from VF gadgets, I'm assuming that's the company being talked about. $30 bucks for shipping...... an aluminum triangle and two screws.... $30 bucks.......I am not happy about that shipping cost......

Also this particular toe plate will not work for my purposes, it has a flange that sticks out.... I am also not happy about this .....

Your wedge looks like it would work on a generic "cheeseplate" with standard thread sizes, I'm thinking vct-u14 thread sizes here.... it also looks like it's flat and has no flange.

I would be interested in your wedge. My only request..... don't charge $30 bucks for shipping.
Yes ... the shipping cost is outrages ... international mail will do just fine!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6

The wedge is actually very complex to make, it requires remounting a few times in a CNC machine. The thickness is also critical, as are the exact angles of the wedge. And I will use a chrome hard coat as a finish.

Mine is different than the VF and the DM. One thing is it will fit right onto the bottom of the new EX1R, even w/o my stronger plate. It also fits the Z5U and Z7U and any other camera with standard 1 1/8" hole spacing. And of course it works with my plates.

The shipping in the US would be an additional $10.00, overseas $18.00, same as all my current shipping charges. I think the price would be $50.00 each.

I am trying to decide if it is worth it to place an order with my CNC machinist.

So far it does not seem like I would sell more than a few here any way. I can make them myself, one at a time but it takes almost an hour to make one and to anodize 1 costs $85 for chrome. In order for scale of production to work I have to order and anodize in batches of 200.

Please post here if you would buy one, so I can get an idea of the number I may sell.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I would be interested in one of your VCT-14 wedge plates, if the project is still on.

George Strother
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Trustee

I'll add my voice to concerns over only using the front wedge and not using the rear pin as well. Sony have a new version of the VCT 14 receiver which appears to add spring loading to the rear pin, probably to increase forward pressure and thus hold the wedge firmer into the receiver.
As much as I like this system on the bigger cameras it seem overkill for the smaller cameras compared to other quick release systems available as part of the tripod head.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #9

I have been using the VCT-14 on mid size cams for several years now.

I actually like using Canons version TA100:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349747-REG/Canon_9859A001_TA100_Tripod_Adapter.html
It does not use the rear clip and is a lot lighter. It also comes with the camera plate made for Canon cameras, I modify this to fit my plate system.

I use it on Stedicams jibs dolly's and of course tripods.

I still have 3 of the sony plates, left from the Betacam days. So I find it a nice way to keep using good old hardware.

I prefer this to sliding dovetail plates that have to be balanced each time they are used, and the familiar snap gives me confidence the camera is secure.

I am still contemplating having these made in quantity. And I am working on a 15mm rail system that integrates with my plates and the VCT-14 / TA100 systems.

If you would like to try what I am working on contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

My plate systems etc can be found here:http://www.westsideav.com/EX1plate/

Here is a photo of the Canon system, used on a prototype of my new plate system for the EX3. This is a prototype. Final versions will be anodized black.
Attached Images

Old February 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I'll add my voice to concerns over only using the front wedge and not using the rear pin as well. Sony have a new version of the VCT 14 receiver which appears to add spring loading to the rear pin, probably to increase forward pressure and thus hold the wedge firmer into the receiver.
As much as I like this system on the bigger cameras it seem overkill for the smaller cameras compared to other quick release systems available as part of the tripod head.
I have an older VCT 14 I use with my D600 BetaCam (yes, some producers still ask for BetaCam). It has the spring loaded rear pin. Maybe they all do, I don't know. The pin has a mm or so of free play side to side and is spring loaded rearward, pulling the wedge away from the front mount. This is probably to take up free play in the wedge, pin assembly, but it is not pressing the wedge deeper or making the rear of the camera tightly aligned. Might help hold the rear of the camera down when the head is tilted lens down, relieving stress on the front mount.

For me the big advantage of the VCT 14 is the extreme balance range offered by the long frame with so many mount locations, compensating for my Sachtler's limited front/rear sliding adjustment. I have a DIY side mount/rear battery bracket (vaguely similar to Olaf's bracket) that allows mounting different configurations of stuff to the EX1, requiring big changes in balance point.
George Strother is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds