Is there a matte box for EX1 with VLC-EX0877? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a matte box for EX1 with VLC-EX0877?

I am searching for a payable (means not serveral hundreds of Dollars/Euros) solution to keep rain and debris + droplets from fireworks displays away from the front glass of my VLC-EX0877 wide angle adapter.

I've built something like a matte box out of thin black plastic. Its a 4 sided box with DinA4-size on the long sides and this works very good. Its just as big and narrow as possible, so that it is not in the picture when fully zoomed out to wide angle. Any rain coming from the back or side will not reach the glass and its a protection against fireworks fall out.

But, its difficult to carry in planes and I did not find an easy and reproducable way to fix it around the lense. So any time it put it on (I normaly should do this at any shot I take with my EX1 because there are always lots particles falling down), it takes endless minutes to fix it and I am always unsure, if it is really not in picture with one side.

So, maybe there is something on the market that can be fixed somehow on a VLC-EX0877 or on the lense of the EX1 (with VLC-EX0877 put on) I could use instead of my plastic solution or which I could use as basis/fixing so that I could "upgrade" it with my plastic sides...

Thanks for any hint.

Last edited by Markus Klatt; December 31st, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Major Player

This one works! Vocas Clip On Kit W-77. However, it isn't cheap! But it is the cheapest one that I know for wide angle use.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks like another one of those matte boxes that won't allow you to close the LCD when used with the EX1 (I have the Redrock matte box - same problem)...
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Trustee

This works with the Century x0.6

I bought one of these:

True Lens Services: Genus Matte Box

which fits on the front of my EX1 whilst wearing a Century x0.6 without rods, and will fit direct via a screw in rim on the standard lens.

Sorry about the appauling quality of the photo, but it proves that it doesn't foul the viewfinder and the rotating stage can be removed in this position and twiddled around as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a matte box for EX1 with VLC-EX0877?-photo.jpg  
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Do you have to buy the rod mount adapter thingmee (sitting under the matte box ) separately? On the B&H site it doesn't appear to have the bits for mounting on rods.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Trustee

The rod-thingumy bracket was included/attached in the package I purchased.

IIRC I was offered the chance to purchase a rod system, but passed on it at the time. I am about to buy rods for my DSLR from their existing range on the UK website.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds