720/60p Player Compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

720/60p Player Compatibility

Excuse my ignorance, and I'm embarrased to inquire about this - it must be written about someplace, but I haven't been able to find it.

For years I have been using the EX-1, after many hundreds of hours of experimentation, in the 1080/30p format, and with ANY action, light permitting, and not TOO much gain (never above 9 dB) at 1/120th shutter setting, usually attempting to keep the iris at 2.8 and above.

I recently tried out some test shots at 720/60p and then burned them to BD-RE - although
the perceived picture sharpness with little motion or no panning couldn't, of course, match similar 1080/30p shots, I was blown away with the 720/60p relative clarity (again, at shutter speed of 1/120th) on quick pans and high motion shots.

I use three BD machines to test my discs, a Sony Playstation 3 (which of course plays just about anything!), a Panasonic DMP-BD35, and an older Sony 300 series BD Player - all are updated with the latest player software. And
unless something is radically wrong, all three players play the discs with no issues when the discs are burned at 1080/30p.

But the experience is much different at 720/60p the Playstation 3 plays the discs flawlessly, always. The Panasonic is tempermental, sometimes playing the disc fine, and other times playing only the audio, with a black screen for the video. The older Sony 300 Series BD Player, however, will NEVER accept the disc, indicating that the format is not supported. I assume, therefore, that this format is not acceptable for BDs for my consumer/customers, in any reliable, trustworthy way.

I am very attracted to the beauty of the 720/60p production with substantial movement, but of course if such productions will not be playable on the BD players of almost all of my customers, it is dead in the water.

I would be most appreciative about the experience of any of you with 720/60p, and if you have any suggestions as to my dilemma! By the way, I am NOT interested, under any circumstances, in shooting and producing 720/30p or 720/24p
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Somehow I think that's wrong though.

This is as I know it
1080p24, 1080i60/i50, 720p60/p50, 720p24 for Blu-ray
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm actually interested in this to. I've been looking around and have not found a definite answer. It would be very handy if Blu-Ray players could play back 50/60P....
Gavin Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello?

In view of the normally very responsive attention given to many topics on this forum, I'm just really suprised at the lack of response here! Is it because no one else has ANY issues in trying to play back 720/60p on a wide variety of sets? If so, I still would really appreciate a response. It is evident that many use 720/60p for the very reasons cited, namely the relatively great definition with fast moving pans or objects! But can you then play them????????
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

BD-RE is not as compatible as BD-R so can you try to burn the same disc image to BD-R and see if it would play? and what authoring program are you using?
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Khoi!

Am using PPCS4, AMECS4, EncoreCS4 - have burned all kinds of BD-RE discs (Verbatim ONLY) in past using CS3 apps and CS4, with (astonishingly) never a problem on the three players mentioned, when have used BD-RE burned 1080/30p.

The Sony 300 Player is an old machine by the standards of what transpires so rapidly! And most of my customers have much newer machines. I will try the suggestion of BD-R and see if that is reliable playback on the Panasonic - if so, I'll go with that - don't expect the old Sony, however, to respond under any conditions.

Khoi, thanks for your response - you've been kind enough to respond quite helpfully to some of the prior inquiry posts of mine, and it's much appreciated!

Bill
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Bill, You might already know this, but....720 60p and 1080 60i are very similar in their overall look. If you want the higher resolution and the same smooth look to your pans, try 1080 60i. Personally though, I don't like interlaced as you have to deinterlace 1080i for use on the web. So your use of 720 60p is a good choice. Someday we'll be able to shoot/view 1080 60p. :)
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urschel View Post
Am using PPCS4, AMECS4, EncoreCS4 - have burned all kinds of BD-RE discs (Verbatim ONLY) in past using CS3 apps and CS4, with (astonishingly) never a problem on the three players mentioned, when have used BD-RE burned 1080/30p.
I am using the same software but hopefully you've ment 1080/30i (60i). 1080/30p is not included in the BD spec so even if it runs its not a valid format.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Markus - of course you are quite right about 1080/30p not being in the spec, but MANY others and I here burn everything or the majority of our discs in that format with nary a problem, so long as our software (etc.) is performing properly! And Mitchell, thanks for your comment - I really do like shooting action scenes in 1080/60i despite the loss of vertical resolution, but I unreservedly now prefer 1080/30p, as on my apps it provides a much better down rez for 480/30p (yes, I know that's not in the spec either, for all you nay sayers out there!) than 1080/60i - far fewer jaggies and better sharpness.
William Urschel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds