DM Accessories or VF Gadgets Shoulder Mount? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Derek what exactly is the second version giving you that the first didn't? Everyone is advising to go for it but I can't quite see what I will get that makes it worth shelling out again. I realise it is "better" but to what degree?
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

A quick release would be ideal. (There are far too many products out that require tools of different shapes and sizes - and that really is a pain in the field).
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herman View Post
Derek what exactly is the second version giving you that the first didn't? Everyone is advising to go for it but I can't quite see what I will get that makes it worth shelling out again. I realise it is "better" but to what degree?
David
The main difference is that the base plate is now one piece, and the shoulder mount upgrade will attach to the new baseplate version. I believe the shoulder mount itself will not attach to the v1 baseplate (which was two separate parts screwed together)
My interest was getting the shoulder mount for hand-held shooting, and since I had the v1 baseplate, I needed to upgrade. It's well worth it, since the ergonomics of the EX3 really suck for long hand held shooting situations, especially if you have v-mount batteries and multiple receivers attached! I'm really hoping Jeff comes out with a quick-release for the shoulder mount, so when it's not needed it can be quickly removed. I also have found with the shoulder mount attached, my camera is moderately better able to sit on a table. Since I am using a Bebob v-mount battery system (with a Lectro receiver mounted on the side of that) my camera is severely off-balance and would not even sit flat on a table without tipping over. Jeff also said he may be working on some counterbalance ideas in the future....
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Derek, appreciate the detailed reply.
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds