Bit of a "Doh!" moment to shoot 720p/60 on the EX and get selective slow motion in FC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Bit of a "Doh!" moment to shoot 720p/60 on the EX and get selective slow motion in FC

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but Steve might be interested in it and I don't know whether he visits the others.

I reinstalled OS X 10.6 today. After I reverted back to 10.6.1 due to an MXO incompatibility with 10.6.2 I had all sorts of spinning beachballs, long boot up times etc that made my Mac behave more like a Windows machine.

Anyhow, I have been reinstalling everything from scratch, including my Nattress Big Box Of Tricks filter set for FCP. I made the effort to browse the instruction PDF after running their installation and came across something that had been sitting under my nose all along!

The G Fields and Frames filter. Why is this important you ask? Well, one of its functions is to enable such things as shooting 720/50p (normal 720p shooting with sound, *not* overcrank) then putting that footage onto a 25p timeline and obtaining smooth slow motion from it by showing every frame. No need to go through the hassle of Cinema Tools!

Now if only Graeme made an additional mod to it to allow 720/50p footage to be placed onto an interlaced timeline and the individual fields derived from it and it would be perfect.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Another nice filter would be one that took 1920x1080 50i and split out the two fields to give smooth 1920x540 slo-mo at 25P, like the PDW-800 does.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Trustee

That filter is in there too! :-) Though I need to check if it is SD or also does HD.

With regard to my first post I read the blurb before trying it out. It is supposed to work, and the guys on the Cow say that it should looking at past posts. Just awaiting a response from Graeme.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds