Reformat or delete all clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Reformat or delete all clips?

So it's best for the card to reformat or delete all clips to get a truly "clean" card after dumping all clips to a hard drive?
Thanks
K
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Major Player

a reformat is not a wipe, a delete doesnt use a trashcan , so it doesnt make that much differance :-)
the suggestion has always been to use delete all clips.
deleting all CLIPS will not wipe out everything on the card. like say you have a profile or settings stored on the card, you will really tick sombody off if you format the card they have 10 hours of worked out profiles stored on :-)

also on the EX1r deleting all clips when showing only certain resolutions of clips, will not delete all, only the ones your working with and seeing at that time. so that could make a difference in what you chose, and what you lose.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Doug Jensen from Vortex media just released an update video for the ex1r and I remember him saying that he prefers to use delete all clips. I have been using the delete all clips since I received my ex1r.
William Graydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I used to delete all clips but after a while I found that my max recording time on my 8GB card became reduced and I was missing out on almost 10 minutes worth of footage off the card. After reformatting the card it increased from a max recording time from 20 minutes to 28 minutes.

After that I've always used the reformat option and haven't had a problem.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Major Player

could it have anything to do with "OK" clips? or other markings, if i remember right you have to work a little harder to delete clips that you specifically marked.
(and that should be pointed out somewhere too)
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't mark clips in camera, never have, I wait for post production before I mark any of my clips. I don't keep any Picture Profiles stored on my cards or anything other than clips I shoot. I don't know what the issue was, or even if it was reoccurring... All I know is that I haven't had to deal with this issue since I started using the reformat option.
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Major Player

And i too would lean to that side, of wanting to shift the keepers like profiles and settings, and do a full format, no guessing or hoping. then put the keepers back on the card.
having even a few minutes of missing space for a long shoot could mean using another $$$ chip for little to no reason , or it splitting to another for no reason.
while they handle the split to other media well, i dont see giving a machine another opertunity to do something that might not work well in all situations.
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Vortex Media

I have couple of cards that haven't been re-formatted in over a year, and they still provide me full capacity. I prefer to delete all clips because it keeps my camera data file intact and doesn't rename the card to "untitled". All my cards have custom names so I know which one I'm looking at on my computer, and I don't like to lose the names.

Doug

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds