Patriot LX 32GB SDHC -Anyone Try it yet? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 29th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Just tested my ATP class 10 with MxM adaptor. Recorded to full, autoswitched to B slot, 16 gb Transcend MxR adaptor. Both recorded without problems. Switched to media and started to play back clips from ATP card. After between 10 and 15 seconds on each clip, got media restore warning, no option to restore showed. No problem with MxR and Transcend. Tried the ATP in slot B, got media restore warning. Transferred BPAV folder to PC, all the clips seem fine. Am going to reformat the cards and try again.
Just a thought but personally I'd never split clips across cards, especially when using different adaptors and SHDC cards in each slot.

I hope to carry out more extensive tests next week but the only test I've done so far is over cranking to 50fps for the cards duration which seemed fine.

The other thing I always do with a new card and adaptor combo is insert the SDHC card a couple of times into the adaptor just to make sure the card has good contact.

Out of interest, do you have the new firmware?
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #32
Major Player

Hi Marcus.
I just reformatted the ATP, took just a few 20 second clips, on replay, got media restore error straight away. Transcend (green belt) no problems. Tried the MxM and ATP in slot B same result. Looks like it could be a bad card/adaptor. will do some more tests, slightly dissapointed at this stage. Have latest firmware, 1.20, Prestons did it before they shipped the camera
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Marcus.
I just reformatted the ATP, took just a few 20 second clips, on replay, got media restore error straight away. Transcend (green belt) no problems. Tried the MxM and ATP in slot B same result. Looks like it could be a bad card/adaptor. will do some more tests, slightly dissapointed at this stage. Have latest firmware, 1.20, Prestons did it before they shipped the camera
Well I guess this is why we test. There's no accounting for manufacturing problems or damage during transit.

Do speak to MxM though as I know they would appreciate any feedback. The class 6 ATP's have been solid for me in their adaptors even including me accidentally shooting full 50fps overcranked footage onto a card on the old firmware (the SxS was in slot B, I didn't press the button hard enough and it didn't switch).

I'm hoping to run more detailed tests next week, but due to the bank holiday time might be tight. I'll try and set the camera up a corner of the office. First impressions were that my class 10 was fine but I'll continue to test.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #34
Major Player

Just put another 16gb Transcend (newer red belt) into the MxM. Recorded some short clips, then finished off, to 5 minutes from end with a long clip, no problems whatsoever, replayed without error. Put ATP into MxM reformatted, took a few short clips, got restore media, reformatted card two more times, got restore media warning on playback on both occasions. Looks like the adaptor is OK, but the card appears to be duff. Will get a replacement on Monday.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Are you using original MxM adapter or newer lockable one? Anyway, try to re-format the card in the computer first, then re-format several times in the camera, then repeat the test...
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #36
Major Player

Just had an email from MxM regarding this.

The glitch is real and happens for all the ATP class 10 cards. However the good news is that it only appears to occur on playback within the camera. If you put the card direct into the PC you'll be fine. The glitch doesn't appear to damage footage and only occurs if you try and play back the footage in camera. According to MxM it appears to be random as well and they can't make it actually damage footage.

That said that would be enough to put me off using it for paid work.

MxM are in communication with ATP who are very keen for their products to continue to be EX1 compatible. They are going to look into why this is happening as everything else about the cards checks out OK.

For now I'd say stick with the Class 6's.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; May 30th, 2010 at 05:05 AM.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:30 AM   #37
Major Player

Much appreciated Marcus. You are spot on. The card contents are intact, and transfer to the PC without problem, its just playback via the cam that shows the problem. I have tried Transcend, both old and new, 8 and 16gb cards in the MxM (it is the latest lockable model), no problem at all. I agree that it is cause for concern when using for paying jobs. I will get the card changed for a class 6 asap.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:10 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Just had an email from MxM regarding this.

The glitch is real and happens for all the ATP class 10 cards. However the good news is that it only appears to occur on playback within the camera. If you put the card direct into the PC you'll be fine. The glitch doesn't appear to damage footage and only occurs if you try and play back the footage in camera. According to MxM it appears to be random as well and they can't make it actually damage footage.
For now I'd say stick with the Class 6's.
I was in contact with proactive on Tuesday and they told me this as well. They have decided to stop selling class10 for now, until the matter its resolved.

I received my Class 6 ATP card this morning.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #39
Major Player

Received a Transcend 16gb class 10 this morning, so far, so good. Have filled the card with lots of small clips, and again with one long clip. No errors whatsoever. Will try some over, undercranking sometime and report back. At the moment all looks well, good price as well, £37 from Amazon inc P&P
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Received a Transcend 16gb class 10 this morning, so far, so good. Have filled the card with lots of small clips, and again with one long clip. No errors whatsoever. Will try some over, undercranking sometime and report back. At the moment all looks well, good price as well, £37 from Amazon inc P&P
I'd be wary. As has been pointed out to me, the problem with the class 6 Transcend cards wasn't just the fact they were pig slow, but its now been suggested to me they might have been liable to being zapped by static electricity.

This would tally with the 2 incidents where cards failed on me without any warning from the camera. Once in a conference venue with a nylon type carpet and once in a brand new shop with, wait for it, newly laid carpet. Both times it was a minor corruption mid clip. Camera didn't fall over and the problem was only evident on transfer.

No proof of course, but the one thing the more expensive cards have in common is more resistance to static I'm told.

Usual disclaimers apply.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM   #41
Major Player

Cheers Marcus. I guess whatever card we use with adaptors, one or another problem is going to crop up sooner or later. Personally I have not had any problems with the old, or newer Transcends, I have been using them for over a year in the HM100 and EX1. I guess we are all in the same boat when it comes to using MxM/R. It is pretty much a case of using what we, or others find reliable. I will test for a while and report back any findings.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #42
New Boot

I have been using the Hoodman adapters and 32gig RAW cards with great success. Can overcrank all day long if necessary. I have two of them along with my 16gig SxS card and that's all I seem to need. Not one problem since I bought them two months ago.
Here's a link if you'd like to check them out.
RAW SxSxSDHC Memory Adapter-Hoodman Corporation
Cheers.
Bruce Quayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Quayle View Post
I have been using the Hoodman adapters and 32gig RAW cards with great success..
Has anyone in the UK bought these Hoodman adapters and cards?
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #44
Major Player

I'm not in the UK but I've had the same results as Bruce with the Hoodman 32GB cards. Long clips, overcrank, undercrank, quick start/stop... all seem to work as well as my SXS cards.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #45
Trustee

OK Charles, thanks. I might try them.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds