Sony VCT-SP2BP- shoulder support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VCT-SP2BP- shoulder support

Hi:
Did anybody test this new Sony shoulder support: Sony VCT-SP2BP? Quite expensive!
But is it okay to be used with an EX3?
Thanx: Heiner/FIN
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Major Player

linkey
Sony Product Detail Page - VCTSP2BP
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Sony say it will work on the EX-3, see link:

Sony : VCT-SP2BP (VCTSP2BP) : Compatible Products : Other
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Trustee

For that price I would expect it have wheels too
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Trustee

It certainly looks workable, but the devil is always in the details.
I would definitely like to hear some user reviews.
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Trustee

Not sure I'd want a shoulder support that had something resting on my chest also. It could pick movement with every breath you take.

Just an observation from other similar support systems I've tried.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Has anybody bought one yet? I have just received mine 3 days ago and I tried it out on two separate occasions. I'm still not certain on what to say about it.

I was given the impression from the photos on the Sony website that you can rest it on your chest. I have an EX3 and in order to rest the arm against your chest, one has to extend the back support further out resulting in the EX3 jutting too much in front of the shoulder. In order for the EX3 to remain somewhat on your shoulder, the arm has to rest on your stomach - very much the shoulder support which is known in this forum as El Cheapo.

I also found out that whilst El Cheapo used to be tightened and one can effectively remove both hands from the camera, the Sony support cannot ever be tightened - the screw is there to act as a resistance to movement but not to lock the chest / stomach arm support.

I was previously using the VF gadget support which although good, did not offer any support to the front heaviness of the EX3.

For the price I've paid for this support, I'm not (as yet) satisfied - I might get used to it better by time. However my first reaction was a shock. It's function is also dependent on what type of clothes you wear. I was wearing both a photographer's jacket and a suit in both occasions. The chest arm tends to slip somewhat on the fabric.

I'm not sure whether I was clear in my entry but it is the first piece of equipment that I ever bought which left me rather perplexed. ...and BTW needless to say, the instruction manual doesn't offer much help.

I'm hoping that someone writes and disagrees with me and help understand how to use it correctly. ...or else i believe that of all the cameras mentioned, the EX3 is the heaviest of them all and the least suitable for this support (even though it is indicated).

I'm eager to hear reviews from other people.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

I was considering trying the VCT-SP2BP out but your initial impression helps me to nix that idea. I like the idea of hands free (or just one hand lightly touching the camera or shoulder mount to keep it straight). I have an EX1 but these shoulder supports are also rated for the EX3 - the supporting arm rests on your hip bone and not directly on your stomach and the support stays steady due to the belt around your waist:
Shape WLB - SPIDER II PRO camera support - SS2200PRO

If you click on the first picture to the right you can see an EX3 mounted on this support - you do not have to get the pro version if you do not need the rails for mattbox and it is cheaper ($ 499). I have a Manfrotto remote mounted on the right handle so I can keep my right hand on the handle for start/stop record and clip review and my left hand is always completely free for focus/iris adjustment - you can also flip up the left handle and rest your hand on the handle and focus adjust with your finger. Gives a lot of stability and absolutely no weight support with your hands.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Major Player

The El Cheapo is a much better solution using the same concept as this +$500 Sony solution. You can get the El Cheapo, last time I checked, for under $25.00 to your door. I think it is way less than that. You will want to add a Manfrotto baseplate adapter to the El Cheapo which will triple the cost of your El Cheapo to $75.

I played around with a similar device that Sony came out with for the Z1 a number of years ago. It was $475 at the time. It was kinda lame as people are hinting at here.

My preferred solution is go big or go home but since people are looking for an inexpensive solution for stabilizing a camera I will suggest something affordable. First go and have a look at the SteadyStick or if you don't mind looking like a Borg, try out the Media Rig (don't have the URL handy).
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds