Problems with new Transcend 16Gb SDHC cards with EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with new Transcend 16Gb SDHC cards with EX1

I just bought a bunch of new Transcend 16gb Class 6 SDHC cards from Amazon and the following error occurred on two of the cards:

Media Error Card must be restored (or something like that), but this would happen several times while in the middle of shooting.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What are the best cards to buy for the EX1 with the MxR (gen 1) readers (or any other reader)?

Thanks,

Jim
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Check this forum for recent threads on exactly this problem. Much of it has to do with pushing recording shortly after stopping as the last recording has not finished writing to the card.

Were you using the MxR adapter you mention above? I have that one as well, though I just ordered the new MxM adapters from Hoodmanusa . I've been using SanDisk Extreme III 30 MB/sec 16GB and Transcend Class 6 (Green stripe) 16 GB. Transcend Red Stripe are infamous for lower quality, but people have been complaining that new Transcend Green Stripe are a problem as well.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Transcends have changed their formula. All 4 I bought from Amazon recently I had to send back. I checked with Abel Cine Tech, they looked into it and ended up sending all their transcends back.
Transcends used to be formulated to work just fine. I have 8 older cards that are still going strong.

I bought the new Sandisk 30mbps cards. I get a very fast green light, aprox 4 seconds. As good as SxS cards in that regard. But they are about $100 a piece.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Contributor

Transcend just introduced newer, faster Class 10 cards. They are priced around $65, hopefully they will perform well.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Venturi View Post
I just bought a bunch of new Transcend 16gb Class 6 SDHC cards from Amazon and the following error occurred on two of the cards:

Media Error Card must be restored (or something like that), but this would happen several times while in the middle of shooting.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What are the best cards to buy for the EX1 with the MxR (gen 1) readers (or any other reader)?

Thanks,

Jim
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Transcend 16gb Class 6 cards are no longer suitable for use in the EX1/EX3. Transcend changed the manufacturing process sometime after July of last year and the cards are no longer any good for our uses.

I've been shooting on ATP Pro Max 16gb cards since September without any issues whatsoever. These are also the cards recommended by MxM after their own research. They found the ATP cards to be reliable and very consistent, so much so they now sell them direct via their own website.

I believe certain Sandisks are also suitable, but I'm sticking with the ATP cards. Combined with the MxM lockable adaptors they seem to be a winning combination even if they are pricey.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds