DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Tiffen T1 filter on all the time? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471523-tiffen-t1-filter-all-time.html)

Ryan Avery February 9th, 2010 02:46 PM

Hello EX1/EX3 users!

We here at Schneider have developed a new and better mouse trap for your EX cameras and IR pollution.

We have a new 1/2 stop loss IR filter that blocks all IR light in the appropriate range. It loses 1/2 stop of light and has a slight blue cast which is easily white balanced out. In our extensive testing, we have been able to greatly reduce if not eliminate the IR issues with the EX series cameras.

This new filter features absorbtive IR technology which unlike the 486 or True-Cut series will not create any off-axis color shift at wide angles. The 486 and True-Cut still remain active products because they do not have light loss and can be better for situations where longer lenses are used and 1/2 stop light loss is a critical issue.

If anyone is interested in testing this filter for everyone here and posting the results, I will gladly send one to you; first come first served. I should have our own sample images up soon. Please email me here if you are interested.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Rick Jones February 9th, 2010 03:11 PM

Sent you an email!

Dave Morrison February 9th, 2010 03:25 PM

I'm in too. I have a 486 just gathering dust here so this is interesting. Email coming.

William Santana February 9th, 2010 03:39 PM

Count me in. Email sent!

Ryan Avery February 9th, 2010 03:43 PM

Ok, I have reached the maximum number of people that I need to do our testing in just a few short minutes. Thanks to everyone who responded. We should have a message posted in the next couple weeks from a dvinfo user who will accurately and hopefully unbiased review the new Schneider 1/2 Stop IR filter.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Marcus Durham February 9th, 2010 04:50 PM

Would have been interested as a new T1 owner. Never mind.

Used the T1 in anger for the first time last week. Even after a full manual white balance I do seem to have a slight green cast. Its easily colour corrected out but is a pain. It was only evident on certain colours though it had to be said.

That said its far less of a pain than my blacks turning dark purple. But it does confirm I'll only use the filter when I can see a problem in the viewfinder (as I did last week).

Dean Harrington February 9th, 2010 05:57 PM

matte box ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 1483886)
We have a new 1/2 stop loss IR filter that blocks all IR light in the appropriate range.

What sizes?

Ryan Avery February 9th, 2010 08:08 PM

All sizes will be available but first production run sizes are 77mm and common square and rectangular matte box sizes.

Pricing and ordering info to follow shortly.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Dan Chung February 11th, 2010 08:11 PM

Ryan,

Will this new filter have a front thread this time? And when is it likely to ship? Was going to pull the trigger on a t1.

Dan

Bruce Rawlings February 12th, 2010 01:35 AM

Good question Dan. The TI filter has a short thread that is useless so had to find otherways of fitting mattebox to EX1. It seems every solution brings another set of problems. All because Sony decided to give us a unique feature instead of fitting the correct filter. Still love my EX1 though.

Piotr Wozniacki February 12th, 2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings (Post 1485034)
Good question Dan. The TI filter has a short thread that is useless so had to find otherways of fitting mattebox to EX1. It seems every solution brings another set of problems.

Good point about the T1's front thread being ridiculously short - this alone made me buy both the 77mm and the 4x5.65" versions :(

Leonard Levy February 13th, 2010 02:02 AM

I ordered my T1 as a normal fully threaded filter specifically from Tiffen - not a "slim" filter because I will sometimes use it between my lens and a 35mm adapter.
Also I tested and knew a normal filter would still have room inside the Sony Ex-1 lens shade.
Granted mine was a special order because I helped test the filter. Are all the ones on the market the "slim style"? I\'ll bet you could complain and either send it back for a retrofit. Its probably just a question of getting all or part of a different ring unit. You could probably do it yourself with cheap $10 filter that you opened up.

Tiffen is pretty customer friendly so I bet if you all complained you\'d get a retrofit and maybe a change of marketing policy.

Ed Kukla February 13th, 2010 09:48 AM

I ordered a standard T-1 filter. It has front threads that I use for my matte box. No problems. The stock lens shade for the EX-3 also fits.

Ed Kukla February 13th, 2010 09:53 AM

Will the Schnieder filter come in a size to fit the Fujinon EX-3 wide angle lens? It appears to be a 95mm thread.

How soon?

Chad Johnson February 13th, 2010 03:08 PM

I have been leaving my T1 on all the time. I do a white balance, and the far red problem is fixed. However I still would like to make a preset WB in a Picture Profile for daylight sunny shooting. I haven\'t got around to it yet, but before using the T1 I had a PP with WB set to 5600 that worked great for general outside sunny use. Theoretically I should be able to go out on a sunny day, set a WB, note the temp, then make a PP with that temp as the preset - replacing the 5600 as a go-to temp for outdoor shots you don\'t have a chance to get a proper WB on.

Has anyone tried this? What temp did you come up with?