DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Best Wide Angle for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471693-best-wide-angle-ex1.html)

Mitchell Lewis February 21st, 2010 11:01 AM

I screwed up and bought the Century .75 adapter. While the image looks fine in my opinion, the difference is very small. In hindsight I should have bought the .6. But I didn't buy it because it's not a zoom through adapter....right? In hindsight, that wouldn't have mattered. Anyone wanna trade?

Jonathan Bland February 21st, 2010 01:59 PM

Hey Boyd, Thanks for the note :)
For sure there is going to be distortion..... I guess I'm thinking that one has to decide if it motivates or just what one CAN do to use this effect. I think I've decide it will work well for what I'm going after.

That's funny Mitchell.... from the posts I've combed through it seems most want to go in the opposite direction your headed so maybe you can find a trade.

Boyd Ostroff February 21st, 2010 02:11 PM

I have come to the conclusion that if I really want a nice, undistorted wide for my EX1, I'm going to need a 35mm adaptor. I have a Nikon 14mm f2 lens which is really nice. But I don't think I'm quite ready to deal with all the issues (and cost) of a 35mm adaptor at this point.

Jonathan Bland February 21st, 2010 02:47 PM

Fully agreed Boyd.

My original question still stands.... does can anyone comment on which 0.6X wide angle they would go with and why?

sony ex1 0.6x

Mitchell Lewis February 21st, 2010 07:41 PM

Remember if you go with a 35mm adaptor, you loose a lot of light. This is fine if you're shooting outdoors, but indoors is a pain. To get a decent depth of field (something other than wide open) you need a lot of light.

I'd buy a Canon 5D MkII and a 16-35mm zoom before I'd buy a 35mm adaptor. (don't ask how I know)

Jonathan Bland February 25th, 2010 01:48 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm getting ready to order a 0.6X Wide Angle for the EX1 and am thinking of going with 16x9 Inc.
16x9 Inc. | 169-HDWA6X-EX EXII 0.6x Wide Angle | 169-HDWA6X-EX

Does anyone know the outside diameter of this adaptor?
I mailed B&H and they are suggesting the:
16x9 Inc. 169HU104 Lens Hood Shade.... but it's $170 and that seems a little much when you have all the Cavisions ones going for much less. My old Cavision hood was well made and stood up to everything thrown at it..... but it's a million miles from me now.

Again... what the outside diameter of the 16x9 Inc's 0.6x wide angle for the EX1?

Big thanks :)

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2010 02:51 PM

I'm with Mitchell - if I bother to carry and fit a wide converter / adapter I want it to be good and wide, not a mild 0.8x that costs a bomb and weighs a ton. I'm prepared to accept that I'll be down to 60% of my zoom range.

Have you seen this 16:9 lens in action Jonathan? My strong hunch is that you'll be given oodles of barrel distortion which you'll love on the skateboard but hate in the cathedral.

You'll want a 16:9 hood (the aspect ratio, not the manufacturer). All the Cavision hoods I've seen are 4:3. Of course you'll be shooting with the equivalent of a 19 mm lens, so you won't be able to have much hooding anyway. You'll be relying on the element's super multi-coating. And this 0.6x is SMC, is it? I can find no mention in the words.

tom.

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 1478924)
Edge to edge sharpness, zero chromatic aberration and no distortion? Without spending $25k? Nope. EX1 lens suffers distortion when wide as it stands, and any wangle will simply enhance that

I agree with your first sentence and the first part of your second Matt, but you don't have to accept an increase in the barrel distortion - not if you use a powerful aspherical element. My Z1 barrels quite unacceptably (in my view) at the wide end, but my 0.52x aspheric cures that.

tom.

Jonathan Bland February 25th, 2010 03:06 PM

Good points all around Tom.

No I haven't seen the lens in action.
As far as those straight cathedrals go... I'm lens a doc in a country where everything is bent, crooked, corrupted, dilapidated and covered is a heavy fecal coliform bacterial soot..... I'm hoping the 0.6 will help take this right over the edge.... but I need one that is sharp at full wide with zero or almost zero vignetting.

Any other thought greatly appreciated :)