Lack of back focus adjustment on PMW350 Fujinon lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Lack of back focus adjustment on PMW350 Fujinon lens

Just seen Andy's review of the new PMW350 Fujinon lens at the Abel blog.
Turns out it'll only work with the 350 due to not having a back focus adjustment on the lens!
Can anyone convince me there is a genuine reason for this other than the fact that people would buy it and put it on Varicams and F900s as it only costs about £1500 instead of buying a £10,000 Fujinon?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been told that there will be a firmware update and software routine to allow manual backfocus adjustment of the lens making it possible to use it on other cameras. Hmmm we'll see.

Being honest I'm not sure how this would work and I'm not convinced it will happen. If your very lucky you might find the settings for 350 will work on another camera. I've been playing with it on my PDW-700 and the backfocus appears OK.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed from:

"Sorry, more cynicism!"

to:

"Lack of back focus adjustment on PMW350 Fujinon lens"

A friendly reminder here that DV Info Net is a technical resource and great care should be taken when choosing a title for a discussion thread. Please avoid ambiguous titles as they are worse than useless. The thread title should reflect the subject of the discussion, and the subjects we discuss here are technical and creative matters exclusively. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Steve, I think it is more to do with the design of the lens and how it focuses.

If I understand it right, the lens is able to perform so well partly because it focuses using elements at the rear rather than the front. Correct me if I'm wrong but the focus is not mechanically attached the the lens elements and these are driven by a servo. This makes the design simpler and able to outperform the price point. It also explains how the lens hardly breaths at all when pulling focus.

That is how I understand it anyway, I may be wrong.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes Mike the rear elements are moved to focus the lens. It is a varifocal lens, so as you zoom the focus of the lens changes. By using a look-up table the lens is able to adjust the focus to compensate and thus hold focus as you zoom. The optical design of a varifocal is simpler than a regular zoom lens. This makes it cheaper but also offers some advantages as with fewer elements there should also be less CA.
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
Steve, I think it is more to do with the design of the lens and how it focuses.
You may well be right Mike. I still don't think that's any reason why it couldn't have back focus too, but if you're right maybe my cynicism is misplaced after all!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Trustee

My guess is Sony wants people to use the electronic back focus method not a manual back focus method for this lens. Cost savings are an important consideration at the price they are trying to hit.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Trustee

No cynicism about the appeal of the kit lens for me. Quite simply it brought the package within reach for me, has the CA correction and auto focus. Without the kit lens, I would not have afforded the camera. So to me, it was a shrewd move by Sony to bring people like me on the fringes into the fold. I expected it to work reasonably well, on par with EX1/3 lens, and it does. If it was utter junk, it would do more harm to Sony's reputation, and Alister and others had already given favorable reviews of it so I felt comfortable. Obviously, you can spend more and get more, but it is still sharp and contrasty, with a useful focal range, doesn't breathe due to the varifocal back focus design. So it works and is a solid entry level value.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds