mixing footage EX1, HVX200, 5D Mkll What format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 9th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mixing footage EX1, HVX200, 5D Mkll What format?

OK here is a challenge. On thursday morning I am covering an indoor event with tungsten lighting. We will be covering two key speakers, stage dancers, and some crowd stuff. Because they contacted me at last minute there is no rental gear available so I am going to have to patch together my EX1, the last available rented HVX200, and my son running his 5Dmk ll.
Has anyone mixed these three cameras before? What format would you shoot?
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if you've got the cards for it, then I'd shoot 1080/30p. If you can't get all the P2 cards you'd need for that, then 720/30p. This should minimize the issues with converting the 5D footage as the other two cameras can shoot this format natively.

Others may have a different view, but it's what I would do.
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Major Player

The EX resolves around 1000 lines, and the HVX and 5D around 600, so the EX will look much sharper when cut together. I'd go 720P.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions, I was leaning towards 720P as well. I didn't know that the 5D is only 600 lines though. My other problem is the IR issue. indoors lit with Tungsten. I will likely have to colour issues.

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
The EX resolves around 1000 lines, and the HVX and 5D around 600, so the EX will look much sharper when cut together.
Easily resolved in post. I HATE hobbling a camera in production to make it look as bad as the next one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds