PMW-350 or EX1 with nanoflash - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 12th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
After 4 surgeries and 8 weeks of chemo/radiation, my first post-cancer (tonsil/neck) Cat-Scan result came back fine today. Now I'm stricken with the fear I may actually survive it for a while and even get back to good health! How depressing! ;)

Actually I am very happy!
And I'm very happy for you getting better, Tom!
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #32
Trustee

Thank you Piotr. And Paul, let's try and hookup if you get out this way.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Somebody please make the 350 go away... it's too tempting, i tell you! Just,,, a few.. keystrokes to.. enter my credit card info... and.. the 350 will be all mine, MINE, i tell you!!

It's driving me crazy.

Batteries, that's all I'd have to get.. I.. I have everything else....
James W. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #34
Contributor

If I was in your enviable position the 350 every time. But buy the Nanoflash as well, especially if you plan to do any chromakey work. Just remember when you buy the Nano that there are associated costs - decent CF cards don't come cheap (although cheaper than SxS) and you'll probably want a Nexto as well to offload footage on location.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Just as a point of interest, for chromakey I use Ultra, a version from the days when it was still owned by Serious Magic. The program is amazing, even the cheapest of cameras are processed flawlessly in Ultra... I've always found chromkey work in After Effects to be a heart stopping affair. It's effortless and flawless in ultra. No idea what it;s like now that Adobe has purchased it.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #36
Inner Circle

James if you do go 350 make sure you don't have surprises when you purchase extra gear. Abel can be a huge help here.

You say you have what you need so most of my list could be left out correct? I also could be missing things but I think they would be small. Filters, Matte Box, Remote Focus, camera light.

You could also just buy camera, batteries, and SxS cards but you would be limited.

Make sure you have a great tripod! The picture is so sharp even cut down in details settings that the slightest movement in a under-rated tripod will show. Which means 45lbs load rated head is the very minimum and the sticks should be rated at 1.5x the head. And a tripod bag

Batteries with chargers will be around $1600 I have two 130w/h batteries and am buying a third since I run the Nano and some times a light off the same power. We did a night shoot and luckly there was a charger near by.

Camera travel bag $400

6 – 16GB SxS cards. Cheap cards are not worth it in my opinion. Not asking to be bashed here just giving my opinion. $3,175

Nano $2995

Cards Sandisk Extreme 32GB, ten cards $2,400 (Don’t skimp have the card rated at full Nano since it will only get faster) and by enough so a client can take cards if they like. I have had this happen twice with clients and had to shoot the next day.

Waterproof cover $400

Tripod plate $250 if you go cheap Sony $800 if you go Rondford- Baker. I have both Sony for close up on/off tripod and Ronford- Baker when you use long glass. Huge difference in stiffness

Zoom start/stop remote $200

Other items I think are needed but you could go with out.
Wide or long HD 2/3” glass est $15 used $20K new
Sony U1 Optical Drive $3K
Sony Optical Disk to get started backing up long term and send to high end clients who request this format: $5K (This amount comes back on what you sell but not for archived disk)
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #37
Major Player

Hi James,

Ever considered the EX-3 with a nanoflash? This would give you the best of both worlds for making doco’s IMO.

My current rig is;

PMW-EX3 (with VGadgets reinforced tripod plate)
Protech ST-7 Full Shoulder Mount, Endura 10 Battery, A-MWR Bracket, nanoFLASH
J-Rod Twin Mic Mount 416 Shotgun mic with deadcat and 2 off G2 Wireless Receivers

The above is a good cheap broadcast solution on a budget and can be got for less than the cost of a 350! Due to budget constraints I would only opt for the 350 if you really need to work in low light!

That said if you can afford the 350 plus accessories then go for it. The only draw back is the big form factor for certain run gun tasks!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Paul, I looked at the Ex3 but nixed it in favour of the EX1R, the rationale being that basically they are the same cam (from what I've read of the specs). From what I understand the ex1r does a full image flip, whereas the ex3 only flips vertically, but not horizontally. Ergo, if you pan left the view finder displays a pan right, and that would be highly annoying for those many occassions that I'll be using a dof adapter (I like the G5).

Also, since reading that the ex1 has been confered silver status by Discovery, I find myself further pushed in the EX1R direction. Basically a hell of a cam for the price. An EXR1 with Nano and I believe I can do most of what I have in mind.

If my information is incorrect please let me know. I appreciate everybody chiming in to help me make this decision. It's invaluable.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Your quite right about the lack of flip in the EX3.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #40
Regular Crew

I pay careful attention to marketing claims of flipped image. Is it really a flipped image? Canon screwed me once (only once?) when I bough an xl-h1 and was swayed by their highly touted claimed of flipped image... only to discover that when i took delivery of it, it would only flip the image (I swear I'm not making this up) if their lense *wasnt* attached. Unbelievable.

This was two years ago, before any of the dof majors started making relays. I dont know what canon was thinking.
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #41
Inner Circle

James sounds like you are doing the proper research. Have you looked at the Vortex Media EX1r video?
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Not sure if Doug discusses the flip or not but this portion of the video about the EX1r upgrade is free to view at that link. The rest of the EX1 video is worth the money if you buy the camera. it will have you up and running quickly with great accurate info.

I do not know if the flip works properly or not.

I have been very happy with my EX1 it has surprised me when ever it was broadcast on TV how clean the picture looks. With the DOF and primes and your experience using this setup you will be dialed.
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Graham View Post
I pay careful attention to marketing claims of flipped image. Is it really a flipped image?
Yes it is! you
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Paul, you're right, the new video covers all the new aspects of the ex1r, and the information I was looking for is confirmed: that the cam flips the image on both axis. Wow. That's serious money saved by not having to purchase flip modules.

Thanks for that buddy!

Alistair, your site, XDCAM-USER.com, and Pauls site are both the first two urls on my video hotlist in favourites. I'm impressed with how thoroughly you each detail your reviews. Even giving Philip Bloom a run for the money :-)

Sad to learn that the ex1r only overcranks up to 720x1280... but this is the only negative I can find about this cam.

Canon and Panasonic may as well just shut down, I cant see anybody eclipsing this cam in this and the next couple of classes.

Now I'll see if there is a dof forum here and see what you guys think of the G5 :-)
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #44
Inner Circle

James always glad to help. Nice to be mentioned in the same sentence as Alister and Phil, both have been a huge help to me over the years.

We all would be glad to have 1080p 60p but for the price we have to be happy with clean 720p 60p.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; February 15th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #45
Regular Crew

30 years ago i studied television production in college. I recall using bulky, very heavy Ikegamis that used lead oxide pickup tubes, a forerunner to ccd's. Anyway, it blows me away that it took a crew and some unwileldy and expensive equipment to yield the results we are enjoying today for under then thousand dollars worth of equipment.

The mind boggles to think of what the next 30 years will bring. Despite missing must have's such as zebra, peaking, etc, I'm amazed by what I can create with my 7D. I literally shot a commcercial the other day just using a 7D and Zoom H4N audio recorder. That was a heady experience.

I want them allll, all the toys, send them to me :-)
James W. Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds