Thoughts on generic batteries from Ebay for EX1 EX1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Thoughts on generic batteries from Ebay for EX1 EX1r

I've had good and bad experiences with generic batteries from ebay, but mostly good. If you have these batteries, does it ask pop up a message on your LCD screen every time you turn the camera on? ex. "This battery is not....."

What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks.

New PL-U95 Battery for PMW-EX1/EX3 Better BP-U60/U30 - eBay (item 290333328839 end time Feb-16-10 17:05:20 PST)
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks similar to a Swit battery, which I own. This one works the same way by using the 12V input. The only reading of remaing battery life will be on the battery itself.

For the money it could be worth a gamble. Buy one and let us all know how long it really lasts! ;)
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Trustee

I actually just got two of these batteries to use with my EX3. I used them extensively last week and so far they work great. I got about 7 hours off of a full charge. A really nice bonus is they come with a D-tap connector too.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Appears to me to be the similar to the Switronix battery

Switronix | EX-L96 14.4v 96W Lithium-Ion Battery Pack | EX-L96
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Looks similar to a Swit battery, which I own. This one works the same way by using the 12V input. The only reading of remaing battery life will be on the battery itself.
Since it uses the 12V DC input - you have the voltage displayed, rather than remaining time (as with the Sony's own BP-Uxx batteries).

With his particular camera/battery combination, one needs to learn which voltage level should be considered "low - replace the battery", and when the camera actually shuts off.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 12th, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kelly, I have been using the PL-U95 on my EX1 for approximately 3 months now. I'm very happy with the charge I'm getting.

The length/weight is not an issue for me; on the contrary, the weight of the battery is a nice counterbalance.

I am getting about 7 hours.

I have two. Both are performing up to spec.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds