New Sony Shoulder Mount (VCTSP2BP) Available at B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Major Player

New Sony Shoulder Mount (VCTSP2BP) Available at B&H

The new Sony Shoulder Mount is finally available at B&H (albeit without immediate delivery): Sony | VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support | VCT-SP2BP | B&H

I might try this unit but I have some doubts as to it's feasibility with the PMW-EX1 and using the Hoodman HoodLoupe (whether the camera can sit back far enough on the shoulder mount to get up close to the LCD viewfinder). I do like the idea of a chest support and taking weight off my right hand. It is hard to tell from the pictures on the B&H site where the EX1 would end up - they show an EX3 sitting fairly far back.

Yesterday, I used Olof's (WestsideAV.com) shoulder mount system (the longer version so I could use the Switronix battery for couterbalance and to power the Nano and Comer 1800 LED light) for nearly two hours (youngest son's birthday party) and found myself having to sit the camera down from time to time because my right hand/wrist became fatigued. I do like the system, though, and don't think it can be beat, especially with having the Nanoflash mounted and for it's portability, compactness and easily fitting into the camera bag.

Hope someone on here is brave enough to get the Sony system and try it out and post their results but B&H has a 15 day return policy so I might be tempted...
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I have taken the plunge and ordered it from a UK vendor since it was advertised as being available - only to be told that it will be available on 11th March. I will let everyone know of my views of this shoulder support, but unfortunately I do not have any shoulder work before end of April! I believe that the chest support will give added stability to shoulder work. Up till now I've used the VF gadget shoulder support which was good but I still got fatigued after a few hours of work. This Sony support is very expensive and I hope it does the job well!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I have ordered mine, too at B&H. I plan to use a sandbag on the back, not ready to buy expensive batteries and Nanos just for balance:)
If I understood it well, it can be attached to a tripod head easily, which is good. I think a handle would be useful, something like Anton Bauer has.
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Will check out Sony adapter this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
The new Sony Shoulder Mount is finally available at B&H (albeit without immediate delivery):
I'm hoping to have a close look at this adapter at the BVE show this week in London to assess it's suitability for an EX1 kit we might be buying.

I had a quick play at the Sony event in December and it has some good features - the built-in camera adapter plate is clever and the space for a nanoflash is nice, but it just depends whether it's comfortable to use.

The chest support will, I suspect, work for some people and not for others, depending where they find it comfortable to place the pad. On your ribs is fine, on your stomach is going to introduce breathing-related movement....unless you hold your breath!!

P.S. if you think it's expensive, try the ProTech ST7!!

Dave
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Dave

I would appreciate it if you could sort of get a guestimate of how far back a PMW-EX1 would mount on this device (assuming they have one set up at the show mounted) - i.e. how close could you get your eye to the LCD screen? - to use the Hoodman HoodLoupe you need to be able to get within about 4" to 5" of the screen.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Barry, the reason why I decided in buying it was exactly the point you highlighted and this thingy seems to be designed for that problem as Sony stated in their website:

"The VCT-SP2BP camcorder shoulder support is fully adjustable, allowing you to alter the length of the shoulder and chest braces depending on your body size and/or shooting style. The VCT-SP2BP is also off-set giving you the option of using either the Electronic Viewfinder or LCD Viewfinder depending upon your preference."

Sony : VCT-SP2BP (VCTSP2BP) : Product Overview : Other

In youtube there is a video with detailed information - unfortunately its Japanese, but the slides shown are in English, so you can figure what is it all about.

YouTube - [?? HDV ??] ??? ??? VCT-SP2BP ?? ??

I hope that helps.
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

I tried to use a mount with a chest support at one time but the movement from breathing was really a problem.
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Excellent point, Mark.
Any chest support will move when you breath -- pluse it prevents proper panning and tilting. I think that's a crazy method of "supporting" a camera.

The better method of balancing the camera is to add counter-weights to the rear, so the camera practically floats on your shoulder. The problem with the EX1/EX1R isn't that it is too heavy to carry, the problem is purely one of ergonomics.

Also it doesn't look to me like the Sony shoulder-mount does anything to move the camera over so it is situated in front of your face. I don't know about other people, but I want the viewfinder in front of my head, not in front of my shoulder. The camera body needs to be shifted left a few inches from the shoulder brace.
http://www.vortexmedia.com/images/VSB1_photo5L.jpg

I can shoot all day with my 25 pound F800 on my shoulder, but I'm dying after about 15 minutes of hand-holding a naked EX1.
Here's another option to consider. It's not perfect for everyone, but it works a lot better than the Sony brace.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

I experimented with a chest support a lot, and I never really got it to work quite right.

It is true that you can literally let go of the camera and it stays there. But it feel awkward to shoot with and restricts your moves especially fast ones.

Doug is right about shifting the camera to your right. But it is also nice to be able to line up with a hoodloop on the LCD. That is why I made my brace so it pivots to either position.

olof@westsideav.com
Stronger Tripod Plates . NanoFlash Brackets . Sliders by Westside A V

Here are some photos of my solution:
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony Shoulder Mount (VCTSP2BP) Available at B&H-shoulder-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I absolutely agree with Olof (whose shoulder-mount solution I'm using) - any chest or abdomen support just sucks.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Major Player

Doug - As Olof mentions - lining up the camrea with the shoulder for those of us using the Hoodman HoodLoupe is actually preferred - the regular viewfinder on the EX1 is so poor that I find myself using the LCD (with the Hoodman HoodLoupe) screen for focusing both indoors and outside,

My SHAPE WLB SpiderII shoulder mount system is supported from the waist (pelvic bone) and is quite stable with breathing but it is still a large rig and rather obtrusive.

I was hoping that the Sony alternative would be a good compromise between size, weight, and support of the camera but breathing, of course, will play a role - I guess only personal experience with the system on a trial basis will be the way to go (for me).
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Barry,

Among the many solutions I've tried is the PAG Orbitor system (http://www.paguk.com/orbitor.htm) - like your Spider II, it is supposed to support the camera using this "telescopic" stick, based in a pocket on the waist belt.

I never was happy with that, as all my body movement (breathing, walking, etc.) made the camera shake like crazy.

As Doug mentions, all those solutions prevent the proper tilting and panning (yes - I'm saying this in spite of the fact that the PAG Orbitor is supposed to have its own pan/tilt camera mount).

Therefore, I can only confirm once again that Olof's solution is the best one can imagine for a camera like the EX1 with Hoodman loupe:

- it feels like a full shoulder mount, in that you can freely tilt and pan with no body motions being conveyed to it

- it's still a compact rig, that you can put into a small and unobtrusive bag.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #13
Major Player

Piotr

I certainly agree with your points especially the last two about Olof's system - it is just that using it for a 2 hour period did tend to fatigue my right hand/wrist but that is probably to be expected. The Sony system is small and unobtrusive enough to fit in a camera bag (especially with the Nano attached) but the business about the chest support does bother me also - I may go ahead and get it but most likely will be returning it to B&H within the 14 day grace period.
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Piotr,

Which of Olaf's systems are you using:

- the simple Shoulder Brace
Stronger Tripod Plates . NanoFlash Brackets . Sliders by Westside A V

- the SPIDER 1 camera support (no telescopic support arm) Shape WLB - SPIDER I camera support - SP2100

- the SPIDER II kit (includes telescopic arm, SHAPE box and counterweight) Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200

Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Malcolm,

Only the first one you mentioned is made by Olof, and tha's what I'm using.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds