Input voltage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Tourist

Input voltage

Hello Fellow Professionals!

I recently acquired a bare Sony EX3 via eBay.

I have modified the shoulder support as inspired by members of this forum. Thank you!

The unit operates on V-mount batteries via the 12-volt input. That's when I learned that 16+ volts (Yikes!) is okay.

I have a Panasonic 12-volt power supply. I used the Radio Shack Part # 273-337 “Adaptaplug” “D” 5.5mmO.D.x3.3mm I.D., to adapt the cord to the Sony (same with the V-mount).

I get 19.2 volts when the camera is turned-on with the power supply. It then immediately drops to 16.2 volts, but the initial "hit" concerns me. I think this is too much and intend to reduce it to 12 volts with the Radio Shack #276-1771, 12VDC 1-amp regulator. This regulator tested 11.8-9 volts. I think I shall use two of them to bump the voltage a wee bit, and get sufficient wattage (13 watts according to the manual).

Thoughts?

Anyone wish to provide the voltages from their stock Sony power supply on fire-up, please?

Sincerely,

Rick
Rick Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Rick,
The no load voltage of my supplied EX3 charger / power supply is 12.18 volts on the power supply setting. I used a digital voltmeter and before it settled to 12.18 volt it flashed ~ 17 volts, however I would not read much into that you need an oscilloscope for an accurate figure and I would have to open up my cables to get readings under load.

Good luck!
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Contributor

Hello Rick, could you provide a little more description of your Panasonic power supply? It sounds like it is unregulated transformer based very basic kind. A regulated power supply should be providing about the same voltage when loaded or unloaded. Regardless, it is established that the camera works ok with up to 16.4V which is fully charged Li-Ion battery voltage. I would not try to see if it works with 18V or higher, too risky. Buying a regulator is not a very good idea as it will become red hot dissipating excess voltage on it. I would look into getting a 12V AC adapter of any brand, rated at 2A or higher. Once you get it, just replace the plug with the one you already have.
HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Does this (unidentified) Panasonic power supply really claim to be nominal "12V"? What was it intended to operate? Maybe it is just a dumb "raw" supply made to charge batteries or operate uncritical loads like lights or something? As Mr. Dolgin said, it would probably be helpful to identify this Panasonic supply.

I found a generic "wall-wart" 12VDC power supply at my local surplus store (Surplus Gizmos) which has the proper power connector for my EX1. Works great. $5
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Tourist

WOW! Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies!

The power supply is a Panasonic Video AC Adapter, model AG-B6. It came with my Panasonic AG-455 S-VHS camcorder. It acted as both camera power supply and battery charge for the lead-acid batteries of the time. It is marked "12v, 1.8a."

Rick
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Trustee

It is possible that your Panasonic AG-B6 power supply is not operating properly. Seems like way more than expected voltage overshoot.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Tourist

Well, I dug up the second one that I have and they both read the same, 19.2 volts.

Back in the old days, I remember Chevrolet did not include an oil pressure gauge, just an idiot light. Chevys always ran lower oil pressure that Fords. Chevrolet did not wish to alarm Chevy owners that may think there was something wrong with their engines when it was just engineered that way. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I always figured 12 volts was 12 volts, yet the new Li-Ion batteries are pretty close to depleted when they read 12 volts, and pump out over 16 when fully charged. And this is okay, I guess.

I would never have been aware of these variations had not Sony put an input voltage display in their camera. And I am glad they did! I doubt the camera will take too many voltage surges before some magic smoke escapes.
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Major Player

old linear unregulated magnetic power supplys will show a really high UNLOADED voltage, but will tame down when a load is applied and work fine, i still woundt trust it with a $$$$ camera when a regulated power supply is some $30 and replacing the regulator in the cam some $400.
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Phillips View Post
WOW! Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies!

The power supply is a Panasonic Video AC Adapter, model AG-B6. It came with my Panasonic AG-455 S-VHS camcorder. It acted as both camera power supply and battery charge for the lead-acid batteries of the time. It is marked "12v, 1.8a."

Rick
That was a battery charger that also functioned as a power supply. The 12V SLA batteries used different charging algorithm, than the Li-Ion batteries. The charger was applying up to 18V to the battery in charge mode to make sure it was fully charged. Once the battery was charged, steady 13.8V was applied to maintain charge. The camera, while the battery was being charged, was using the voltage to run. The charger was always trying to send 1.8A into the battery to get it charged, increasing the voltage all the way up to get there. In your case if you connect it to your camera, it would do the same, cranking the voltage up to push current in. No good outcome :-)
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Major Player

EX1R

Sony original charger/power supply hits 12.4V on startup, drops to 12.0 when running the camera

With a Battery Input voltage for the test was 15.5v
camera uses between 700-900 ma of power approximatly, running recording doesnt take that much more power.
let me see if i can do a quick loose power thing:
LCD vrses VF - 10% - lowest consumption is lcd out with LCD backlight off
Lens Motors -5% or less
recording to chip - neglagable
overcrank difference - neglagable
DVout link on/off - neglagable

Media mode uses 500-600ma
playback using about 15% more than just parked

COOL, i just made a Trippleplay for less than $100 in parts.

the adaptaplug itself as mentioned Enercell™ Adaptaplug™ "D" - RadioShack.com

Adaptaplug $25 AC power supply Enercell™ 12V/1500mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

adaptaplug wire end Enercell™ Replacement Adaptaplug™ Socket - RadioShack.com

Adaptaplug car cord Enercell™ Universal 12VDC Coiled Power Cord (8-Ft.) - RadioShack.com 2amp fused lightweight coiled cord

i mounted the D adaptplug on every item ,as opposed to shifting it from item to item and some nut accidentally getting the polarity wrong, so 3 ways of connecting, 1 end plug on each.

and a RC li-poly battery another $34 4.5amp 14.4v. plus some stuff to get a voltage reading on the battery.

Original small battery runtime when new approx 2h25min 14.4v li-ion 1.8amp

all figures are approximate, because it dont make that much differance.

Last edited by Marty Welk; February 21st, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Voltage vrses current is relative, to a DC-DC power regulation, to a Point then its burning off.
meaning i should have listed the Wattage consumption not the Ma at a voltage.
because the voltage vs Current changes slightly based on the regulation, i do a quick test of all that.

as the voltage is increased the total current decreases, as the voltage increases the total current decreases, the "power" or wattage is similar, to a point.

Everything is ABOUT , in these regulation tests, (there was a .3-.4V drop in the wiring).
Minimum operating voltage 10.1v wattage then is 11w
at 12V its about 11.5w ---- MAX amps (running motors) at 12v is 1.12A or 1200ma or 13.4W
at 13v 11.7W
at 16.2v camera uses about 780ma 12.6W
From here and UP the regulation seems to be burning off the power (waste) (bad)
at 20V approx, the camera freaked out and turned off, OOPS lets not do that again.

Summary, operating voltages of 10.5-16 which would be Normal battery supplies, voltages over 18 would be stupid, voltages close to 20v are Really really stupid :-) hey now you know right :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds