My first major screwup: deleted clips accidentally - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM   #16
Major Player

SDHC fragility is really a non-issue if you keep the cards permanently within an adaptor.

As for the write protect, the worst that can happen is that you will need to buy a new card. If it snaps off it won't damage the data itself.

But personally I don't write protect the cards. I just don't see the need if you are doing things properly.

The golden rule for your footage is the same as for any data. It doesn't exist unless it is in two places.

Also never make the mistake of thinking RAID is a backup. It isn't, it's just a timesaver if a disk does go down. I have lost track of how many times I've given that lecture to people who think RAID is a panacea.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Trustee

As mentioned in The previous post I am paranoid. The reason originally given for always pushing write protect on P2 or SxS cards is that whenever you place the card into the computer there is some possibility of contamination - either through human error or weird computer stuff.

Why take chances is the way I figure it.

If you keep the SDHC card in the adapter ( which seems to be highly recommended) then of course you can't push the tab. It hasn't scared me off SDHC cards - I have one 16G - but it does make me wary.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
one would think they'd be in the trash
I do not know about the Mac, but in Windows the trash can is a separate folder on the same drive as the original files, but only on non-removable drives. So, for diskettes, SxS cards, and any other removable cards, files are usually just deleted.

Also, files are usually only moved to the trash can when "deleting" them from the system shell. But applications normally just delete them.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
As mentioned in The previous post I am paranoid. The reason originally given for always pushing write protect on P2 or SxS cards is that whenever you place the card into the computer there is some possibility of contamination - either through human error or weird computer stuff.
Good point, there are a number of viruses, that would await the mouting of a device then proceed to copy thier wormy trojan selves to the newly mounted device.
I couldnt believe it once when i got a virus from a hardware Drivers CD that came with a product.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Bob, glad you got the message. I would add double back up before you decide to try any deletions and as you've already realized never do anything to or with the card itself other than a full copy.

I just always assume something is about to go wrong at all times. i think its generally a good attitude for any cameraperson, though living with paranoia is stressful.

I'm wary of the SDHC cards because it is difficult to hit the write protect switch and they are fragile.
Adjusting my workflow as a result of paranoia was actually therapeutic! I now copy the BPAV into a temp folder on my desktop from which I operate on the clips with Clip Browser to label etc. It was calming to see the SxS card on the table, where I couldn't accidentally foul it up while working with the clips.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm wary of the SDHC cards because it is difficult to hit the write protect switch and they are fragile.
Even if you don't use them for the actual shooting, they give the option of shooting to SxS, then doing a slot to slot "copy all" on the latest EX cameras to an SDHC card. Should happen in much better than real time, needs no equipment other than the camera, and that card then is cheap enough to become the backup until the project is finished.

The rest of the workflow is unaltered - main transfer from SxS cards etc. But if finger trouble strikes, you can always go back to them.

No system is totally secure - I once heard a tale of someone attempting a computer restore who only succeeded in wiping the backup as well as the main data - but the above might be as good as it gets. At least the SxS system gives the flexibility to do that sort of thing.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds