ahhh, Client looking to edit in iMovie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Major Player

ahhh, Client looking to edit in iMovie

i had a potential client contact me today asking if my EX1 footage can be edited in iMovie. after reading several posts on this forum it seems possible, but i need to know the correct work-flow in order for this to happen. so, can someone explain how i can shoot on my EX1 and be able to deliver the footage in a format/codec my client can edit it in. FYI: i am not very "post" savvy, so please explain thoroughly.

thanks in advance,
Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Uh...

iMovie should be able to edit any Quicktime file... but...

...think about this. You are using an EX1 to deliver footage to a client so it can be edited in iMovie? This seems like a problem client waiting to happen.

Second, which *version* of iMovie? 3.0? '06? '08?
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

See this post
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ovie-09-a.html
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I did exactly this same workflow for my buddy that was not post-savvy and rather than having him learn FCP, I suggested iMovie, which worked out great for him (although I'd pull my hair out).

Basically I imported my EX clips as normal then used Compressor from FCP and converted the movies into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), which is what iMovie converts them to anyway. That way you can keep them at HD resolution without going down to the DV codec as the linked post suggests. This also keeps your client from having to install other drivers or anything like that. If you don't have Compressor use MPEG Streamclip instead.

Also, if you tell iMovie to keep the files as-is when you import them (instead of reformatting them or whatever it calls it) it will allow the import to happen much faster, otherwise iMovie turns around and recompresses what you've already compressed into AIC yet again, just at (potentially) a different resolution.

Hope this helps!
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Major Player

FCP not available

FYI: FCP is not available. so far it looks like i'll have to look into MPEG Streamclip.

thanks.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds