Building a new editing machine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Building a new editing machine

So I am wanting to put together a machine and was wanting to build it on a dual Core i7 9XX Processor machine. Does anyone have anything like this that they are using. I am wanting a motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s, I am still looking. I really don't know what video card to select ether.

Any help to build my dream machine to ingest and render my EX1 video?
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Trustee

My Super PC.com is a good place to start.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM   #3
New Boot

Last year I discovered CyberPowerPC.com. For the money and performace, they build a good custom machine. Build a machine at Dell, then compare a similar build at Cyber...

I've entered my computer stats below. I have an Sony EX1R and edit with Sony Vegas Pro 9. I also use Lightwave 3D v9. (64 bit) My machine is VERY stable and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck whatever you decide!

i7-940 2.93 GHz
Asus P6T Intel X58
12GB RAM
OS Drive 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Vid Drive (RAID-0) 2TB (500GBx4) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 X2 1.7GB
Windows Vista (64-bit Edition) Service pack 1
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I just built a fairly cheap system for RED editing - i7 920 running at 4ghz -limited to 6gb ram at this speed, then add 4 x 1TB Spinpoint raid 0 drives. The best bit is the SSD C drive running with Win 7 64 bit - super fast at everything, very hard to upset - loads programmes hugely fast, this OS is very lean and fast.

I used a Vertex drive, only 60gb but fine for system only. I used a Gigabyte X58 UD3R mobo, cheapest card with 2oz copper, no point in usng anything more expensive here, it has 2x 6gb sata and 8x 3gb sata, USB 3, and 6.4GT/s quickpath. Coupled with a GTX285 2gb nvivia for output.

Next up, Raid 0 SSD's - oh and the overclock is very stable, running 60c at full throttle, although it is water cooled!

Paul
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Build a Mac from PC parts, its possible. I am using that for more than 1 year, works great. PM me if you want to know more.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

other useful information

You might want to look at the computer construction guide produced by videoguys. Their most recent guide is about 1 year old and you will want to use a newer motherboard, video card, and other parts to obtain usb 3.0, and other newer features. However, the information they provide should still be very useful as it is targeted at video applications.

The title of the article relating to their highest performing machine is:

Videoguys' DIY7.7: Intel Core i7 8-core

The link to that article is at:

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7.7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64 AND Now Windows 7
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Call George...

Video editing systems from New England to Florida & Nationwide. Powered by Grass Valley Edius, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and Sony Vegas Pro
Outstanding service, killer machines.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds