What should I look out for on a used EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Trustee

What should I look out for on a used EX1?

Just purchased a used EX1 and was wondering what you would recommend I check and if there are any common trouble areas to look out for?
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You of course want to take a really good look at the lens, make sure there aren't any scratches on it since it's a fixed lens.

I would check the menu roller on the back and make sure it rolls through fine and pops back out after being pressed - I have a friend who's roller stopped working and can only navigate menus using the D-Pad on top.

Make sure the lens rockers work, especially the side one - that goes and you don't have analog control over lens speed.

Check the tripod mount on the bottom and make sure there are no cracks in or around it - it has been known to crack and break off. (Although most people have had their EX1s for a long time and have no issues at all, just be smart about it, don't carry the camera and tripod by the handle putting the weight of the stick all on that little plate, carry the tripod by the legs, etc).

Check LCD and EVF screens, make sure there are no cracks, discoloration, etc.

Basically, just go through the thing, make sure buttons work like they should, lens parts spin freely, etc. Basic stuff to check on any camera I guess. The only EX1 specific thing I would know to check is the cracking on the bottom near the tripod mount...
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Trustee

Good tips Hiram and just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds