EX1r record button lag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1r record button lag

The time lag between hitting record and having the record indicator light up has really thrown me off a few times. Like: something is happening fast, I hit record, I don't see a light, I think maybe I didn't fully depress the button, I hit it again turning record off. That kind of thing... Apparently the processor has some tasks to perform before recording can actually start, if that assumption is correct maybe there should be a progress bar, or some kind of indicator, letting you know that recording is actually about to begin. What do you think?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Back in the analog tape days, the first 5 or so seconds after pressing Record was unusable, due to ballistics of the tape transport "coming up to speed" and then the resultant issues on the VTR playback side.

Perhaps if this IS an issue, you could engage the loop recording mode. The small number of times I've used the EX1r, we've used it that way.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Maybe set the Picture Cache to the full 15 seconds. Then, if after 5 seconds, you find it's still not recording, you've still got 10 seconds worth in the cache and can then press record properly and not miss anything. That's all I can think of.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Only problem there is that record cache doesn't work in S&Q motion mode. I'm overcranking a good part of the time.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mark, my EX1R begins recording within .5 to 1 second after pressing the record button. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting regular speed or with S & Q activated. The only "processing" that may be occurring with your camera that I can think of is if you're using recording media other than SxS Pro memory cards. Are you using some sort of SDHC media?

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Trustee

I am using SD cards in my EX1r, and my recording response time is easily less than one second for either HQ or S&Q 60 fps mode.
What you are describing does not sound characteristic of this camera.
I have no idea if this is a factor, but I have installed the latest firmware release.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm using the regular memory cards. The .5 to 1 second is what I'm talking about. I really wish that during that albeit brief time there were some kind of visual indication that record was actually engaged.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Trustee

If you have the TC or Duration display turned on (upper right corner of the LCD), you will see it start advancing when the actual recording starts.
If you need faster response than a fraction of a second, you may need to set the cache record function to, like, 5 sec. and just leave it on. That would be pretty bulletproof.
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #9
Major Player

acts just like tape, push button wait for roll foreward, push stop wait for tape rollback
Digital , Push button wait for buffer fill, push stop wait for cache clear.

only the name has changed to protect the innocent :-)

switch the audo beeper on, mabey tone it down a bit, when you hit record it beeps, problem is when you stop again it DOESNT :-( so if you doubble hit, you might not know you stopped.

think its about time for "The Record X Coalition"
Here at the Record X Coalition, we advocate the displays in ALL video cameras always show a big thin red X across the screen, when they are not actually recording anything. At Rec-X we feel that tiny leds, and stupid little leters at the top are insufficient warning that the user is standing there making a complete fool of themselves and about to be sued.
The intense and proper operation of a camera puts a camerperson in a position of needing all the assistance they can get , so they can concentrate on the subject at hand, and the other 50 things in the camera.
At the Record X coalition we intend to legislate international goverments to force all cameras made after 2004 , to have approprite warning that the user , who is working so diligantly filming things, actually knows when they are not.
join us at the record X colalition and sign the petition and donate to our skilled lobbyist today. ;-)

ok so it didnt work in 2004 :-) but its 2010 now, time for change .
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Major Player

I think that's a great idea Marty.

edit:

But all I really want is an indication that recording is about to begin, like a progress bar, or the record light could flash, or something.

Last edited by Mark OConnell; March 28th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds