Future EX1 firmware feature wish - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #31
Major Player

more picture profiles (why just 6?) and more functions to assign to buttons
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #32
Major Player

6 is more than enough to confuse you, just give me a camera with a white balance switch, lol
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I'd like to see an easy naming system for the white balance or possibly including any image to be associated with the WB. After the WB procedure, an option could be "Would you like to add a snapshot to identify the WB preset?"
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I'd also like camcorders pick up some of the noise reduction options that are shipped in DSLR cameras such as the Nikon D90/D300s/D3s. Camcorders are seeing very small increases in image noise reduction at higher Gain values other than moving to larger sensors. DSLRs are delivering noise-free images up to ISO800 (gain = + 12 dB) on the D3. On the EX1, noise is pleasantly low but visible even on nearly middle-toned at + 6dB. The EX1 is by far an improvement over the Z1. I'd be willing to take a unit with double the battery weight if that is what is needed to do DLSR-class noise reduction at video frame rates.

Note. DSLRs present their recent gains in high-ISO performance as sensor improvements. An analysis of the Total SNR curves at DXO mark show a surprisingly small difference between a Nikon D3 and a D2X. DSLR manufacturers are making great improvements in their JPEG engines.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #35
Major Player

The noise is mostly blurred out on DSLRs. They resolve just over half the resolution of an EX. If you filtered an EX that much in post it would look noise free too. Also, +6DB is @ 800ISO on an EX. +12 would be 1600ISO.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Thanks, Dave. I didn't realize the base sensitivity of the EX1 was ISO800. Still, I'd like more and would prefer in-camera noise reduction that would lower the interframe compression load added by the noise at gains of +6 dB and more.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #37
Major Player

No mate, I meant the EX is 400. +6DB is one stop, for 800, +12 is 1600.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I'd like:
-the possibility to record on two cards simultaneously (like one SXS and one sd, perfect backup if anything goes wrong with the second)
-the possibility to lock in the menu the audio levels (perfect for recording with external mixer: set the levels once, tone at -20 or whatever, and forget about checking every other minute that the control knobs didn't move during the shooting)
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds