EX1 DOWN and out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 DOWN and out?

Need some consoling here. When I bought my EX1 I was jumping for joy that there were no moving parts to wear out and the cam should live a nice long life....

Fast forward to now... I got the news that the reason for my EX1 troubles are sand in the lens assembly. Enough to make it hard to focus and not auto focus at all. This cam does see beach duty on a regular but not any more than my Z1 and four years later it is still kicking.

My question is...I was told that it can only be repaired by Sony and that I can't source out a used lens assembly to R&R. Sony allegedly has proprietary software to "align" the new lens. Cost $2K is this correct?

I'm thinking two things:

1) Ebay as is with exactly what is wrong with the cam OR
2) A really nice lock down cam.... or conduct exploratory surgery.

Any ideas what this thing is worth as is? I have a bunch of stuff batts, cards etc. that will go with it.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Sand plus cameras don't mix. eBay it as-is as described here.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Major Player

owwww that has gotta hurt.
doesnt the lens come off? err i though it did anyways. oh no, its the ex3 that removes, oooohhhh , i hate when that happens.

depending on the shape of the body of the cam, and what else might be effected, i would NOT (no way) send it in for service vrses buying a new lens. the "it's never the same again" thought would restrict me from doing that.

becomes Wide angle backup camera ?
nice security camera for high priced home :-)
Ahh i know, Donate it for huge tax writeoff.
Take it on a job that is going to use explosives :-)
Put it on a long glide track, or tracks and dolly, quit zooming.
hire it out to a high budget hollywood movie as a "HD stunt cam" for one time usage.
Sell it to Hugh Grants paparazzi Hugh Grant kicks Paparazzo|Celebrity Fights
get a cable and 2 pulleys make "Sky Cam"
Get hired by Union pacific to do a safety video of what happens when you stay on the tracks with a speeding train

I have heard that average photo type camera shops might have in them a lens tech that cleans regular camera lenses via dissasembly. might be worth checkin on it.
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Major Player

$2K would be about right. Ask about trading it in on a new cam. Loss of auto focus isn't much loss. Continued use will cause further damage.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Trustee

Mike, If you bought it with a credit card, sometimes they will add an extra year on your warranty. Amex picked up a $2K tab on my EX-1.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you're good with tools and precision assemblies just take it apart and blow it out. Go slow, take pictures at each step of the way and don't force anything. If you could track down a Sony service manual that would be huge adavantage!
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Lesson for all of us... In a dusty / sandy environment, make sure you use a rain cover or the CamRade cover.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Would this repair be accepted under warranty? Not a manufacturing fault. You might argue that a "professional" camera should be weather and dust proof, but from the start we knew the EX1 wasn't rain proof.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Going to try to fix myself

I asked to have the cam sent back. Trade in was $1200.

It's worth that to me to have as a back up lock down cam. Bought a T2i to replace it. Use Zoom h4n to rec audio.

I was hating hauling it along with the 5D and hating the wieght of it anyway. Never used a fraction of the features other than XLR audio. The low light was the biggest thing for me and now the 5D is king.

I did enjoy it for a while. A little dissapointed that the sand got in so easily. Lesson for me?...... buy cheaper gear and don't count on it lasting.

Thankfully the DSLR modules will change all that. Cam or lens goes bad you have them separated and NOT totally proprietary.

I did have to send in the lens that cam with the 5D though. Less than one year old. Not for sand though. Communication error with the cam..... yes I cleaned everything.

Yes Adam, thank you for stating the obvious.

I tried the camera jackets and bags etc. They just totally got in the way of the functions I needed in a hurry and I lost valuable shots. It is the nature of what I do, weddings on the beach. It's wet and sandy. Fortunately I only expect about 1.5 years from this cam and that is what it lasted.

All the best to all who posted constructive responses.

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds