Audio meter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio meter question

I'm using Sennheiser G3 ew 112 wireless with a Countryman B3 mic, rode NTG-1 shotgun. I've set my EX1R audio trim to -44db for both. Got my camera meter dials at 5 each, set audio to ext, manual.

So it sounds OK in the headphones, but I just wonder if -44db is too high or when would we use say -20db or -35db? Is it all dependent on the type of mic? Should I set to manual or auto on back of camera? Any other settings I should deal with given the mics I'm using?

Thanks greatly

K
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kent. You can't nominate any trim/dial settings because it depends on how loud your sound source is. It'll always vary so will your settings.

The best thing to do is record some tests making sure you don't record too loud on your EX1R because you can't fix distortion but you can always raise the levels in post.

I don't know that cam but for voice I'd turn on its audio limiters to avoid peak distortion.
Cheers.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Interesting thought about audio limiter - always thought it best to keep off, but will try it...with my mics I did record a test and -44 trim seems very good, have to only raise it in FCP by maybe 1 or 2 db to get it just right.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the audio limiter on my Ex1r and it works great. That way if someone starts yelling or talking loud into the mic, the levels won't clip.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds